Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best quality flannel for quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-quality-flannel-quilting-t228377.html)

maggiemuggins 08-20-2013 09:21 AM

Best quality flannel for quilting

I know a lot of you ladies have been quilting for some time..what is the best quality flannel to get for quilting..eg Moda,Kaufman etc.I mainly want something for a backing that is going to last and not shrink too much..I know initially flannel does shrink so prewash is a must but which ones shrink the least?

grammysharon 08-20-2013 09:28 AM

I have had the best luck with Moda brand flannel!!! Never had a problem with any flannel I have purchased of their's!!!!!

Originally Posted by maggiemuggins (Post 6245417)
I know a lot of you ladies have been quilting for some time..what is the best quality flannel to get for quilting..eg Moda,Kaufman etc.I mainly want something for a backing that is going to last and not shrink too much..I know initially flannel does shrink so prewash is a must but which ones shrink the least?

feline fanatic 08-20-2013 10:13 AM

Moda and Northcott are both very nice flannels.

I have also had very good luck with Maywood studios and AE Nathan

All of these are nice thick soft flannels with no pilling and minimal shrinkage.

NJ Quilter 08-20-2013 11:57 AM

I've used Moda and think it's wonderful. Very little shrinkage; lots of body to it. I wouldn't hesitate to order any of their flannel.

dunster 08-20-2013 12:13 PM

Connecting Threads has a very nice flannel too.

Quiltngolfer 08-20-2013 12:26 PM

My favorite is Maywood. It is very nice and thick.

ckcowl 08-20-2013 12:56 PM

I often buy wide flannel backings from Fabric.com- they have 108"-118" wide flannels that are really nice. I love Benartex double sided flannels for quilting- they are so *meaty* and wash up beautifully= I use them often for piecing & quilt tops- but I love the wide flannels for backs so I don't have to piece them- and fabric.com offers free shipping at the $35 level- I can always find that much to buy. :)

Dolphyngyrl 08-20-2013 06:57 PM

I have to say connecting threads flannel is so nice. it washes soft and there is hardly any shrinkage so next time I know that washing it is not absolutely necessary to use it. I was very impressed with it and its quality and they have so many solid colors and price is good as well. check them out you may be pleasantly surprised

jeanharville 08-22-2013 12:54 PM

So glad you asked this question. I've bookmarked it for future reference. I haven't had good luck with JoAnn or Walmart. I really don't like ordering online, but I may have to if I want to use flannel. I can work around the shrinking, but the pilling is an ugly problem.

cindi 08-22-2013 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 6246322)
I have to say connecting threads flannel is so nice. it washes soft and there is hardly any shrinkage so next time I know that washing it is not absolutely necessary to use it. I was very impressed with it and its quality and they have so many solid colors and price is good as well. check them out you may be pleasantly surprised

Thanks for the review, Dolyphngyrl. I've been wondering about their flannels. I already like their cottons. I know where I'll be ordering flannel from next time!