Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best sewing machine ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-sewing-machine-t197050.html)

LuvCreams 08-08-2012 11:02 AM

Best sewing machine ?

What are the best sewing machines for making quilts? I am talking kind for piecing, not top quilting.

QuiltE 08-08-2012 11:04 AM

As long as a machine stitches you can piece with it.
Some on here use treadles and vintage machines.
Others have sophisticated modern machines.
And of course, all sorts of machines in between this.

So in short ... any working machine is all you need.

LuvCreams 08-08-2012 11:07 AM

I guess I am speaking of the most modern newest models etc.

mic-pa 08-08-2012 11:10 AM

Go to your local dealer with Sewing machines and try them out. Decide what fits you price and what you want it to do for you. You are going to get as many answers as there are sewing machnes. Check several out before you make a decision. good Luck , PS> I am a Janome fan myself

sewmary 08-08-2012 11:57 AM

And I am a fan of Pfaff.

Many are a fan of bernina or elna or singer or babylock. Mic-pa had the best advice.

Be prepared for a shock when you see the prices on the most modern, newest top of the line machines whatever brand you look at!

nygal 08-08-2012 12:01 PM

I am a fan of Brother machines.

MadQuilter 08-08-2012 12:05 PM

I love my Baby Lock - wouldn't trade her for anything. But then, she has a lot of features that I don't need. When I research a machine, I write down the MUST HAVES, the WANTS or WOULD BE NICE and find models that support the features. Then I read lots of reviews. Patternreview.com has lots of info on machines by users. Then I go test drive the ones I select. From there it comes down to fit and price.

QuiltE 08-08-2012 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by LuvCreams (Post 5426748)
I guess I am speaking of the most modern newest models etc.

And honestly, it is what I said before ... any machine that works!

Best is a hard thing to define ... what is best for you, may be the best for others.

It's best to check out a few possibilities and compare the features.
Consider what you need now, and what you might need in the future.

I always suggest to buy something one level (or two) above what you think you need, to give you some room to grow with the machine. Otherwise, you may be right back in a few months and buying something else.

An important part of this whole scenario is your dealer ... are they there to help you when you have problems and questions? do they have service/repair on-site? will they be around in a year? several years?

The best machine may not be the best choice, if you don'thave the best dealer!

Treasureit 08-08-2012 12:33 PM

Brother just came out with a NEW machine this month...look up their website and it will probably be there.

debquilts2 08-08-2012 12:39 PM

I just got the janome 7700 and I love love love it