Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best size for baby "Snuggle" blankie??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-size-baby-%22snuggle%22-blankie-t147842.html)

Jim's Gem 08-25-2011 01:21 PM

My daughter said that my grandson, who is just over 3 mos, is starting to want to hold something to snuggle with. She asked if I could make something small for him to Snuggle with. What do you think would be a good size. I have started with a soft flannel, making it a raggie, and my blocks are 6 1/2" unfinished. I will use a 1/2" seam and then rag them. If I go with 3 x 4 setting it will be approximately 16 1/2" x 21". Do you think that is a good size??? Should I make it a 4 x4 setting to be 21" square or go bigger with a 4 x 5 setting to be 21" x 26"ish???

luckylindy333 08-25-2011 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
My daughter said that my grandson, who is just over 3 mos, is starting to want to hold something to snuggle with. She asked if I could make something small for him to Snuggle with. What do you think would be a good size. I have started with a soft flannel, making it a raggie, and my blocks are 6 1/2" unfinished. I will use a 1/2" seam and then rag them. If I go with 3 x 4 setting it will be approximately 16 1/2" x 21". Do you think that is a good size??? Should I make it a 4 x4 setting to be 21" square or go bigger with a 4 x 5 setting to be 21" x 26"ish???

I think your sizes sound OK, but I kind of question the raggy part. I think it would be better for a baby to have the seams emclosed so there will be no extra threads hanging about for him to inhale. I just remember my brother getting brochitis from inhaling a fabric scrap from a blanket when he was a baby. What a nice idea, the snuggly!

chairjogger 08-25-2011 01:29 PM

agree.. the raggie part comes from love.. remember the Velveteen Rabbit .. "does love hurt?"

I make sure the edges are very tight, stitches not loose. never have forgotten the scream my baby let out.. finding his toe was strangled in the feet of his feety pj's.. age less than 6 mos.

so.. really am scared about loose threads.

lovies are so neccessary.. good luck !

Ell

Jim's Gem 08-25-2011 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by luckylindy333

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem

I think your sizes sound OK, but I kind of question the raggy part. I think it would be better for a baby to have the seams emclosed so there will be no extra threads hanging about for him to inhale. I just remember my brother getting brochitis from inhaling a fabric scrap from a blanket when he was a baby. What a nice idea, the snuggly!

Which size did you like?????
Hmmmmmm...... havn't heard of inhaling fabric scraps. I do plan on washing and drying a couple times to get the ragging going.
I was thinking that the ragging would be something to "finger" or to give it some texture.

quilter68 08-25-2011 01:31 PM

Also has to have a 'silkie'. The border or a piece of it has to be blanket binding.

quilt1950 08-25-2011 01:32 PM

I agree with not making a raggie quilt, for the reasons mentioned. The ones I have made range from 12" square, to 18" square. I recommend that you make more than one. They should be close to identical. If he really gets attached, you need one to use, one in the wash, one for the car, one for the diaper bag, one for the baby sitter, and one on standby. Mom should switch them out regularly, so they all get the same amount of wear.

How do I know this? My grandkids are now 6 and 7, and sleep with a very raggedy 'snuggle' blankie. My daughters hold their breath every time the blankie must be washed!

Jim's Gem 08-25-2011 01:33 PM

My seams were going to only be 1/2' so the threads will be really short.

I don't have any silkie binding around here right now. We may take a drive down south tonight to see my In-Laws and if we do we will meet my daughter for dinner tomorrow night. So I wanted to get it done within the next couple hours.

I can make another later with the silkie binding.

Jim's Gem 08-25-2011 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by quilt1950
I agree with not making a raggie quilt, for the reasons mentioned. The ones I have made range from 12" square, to 18" square. I recommend that you make more than one. They should be close to identical. If he really gets attached, you need one to use, one in the wash, and one on standby. Mom should switch them out regularly, so they all get the same amount of wear.

How do I know this? My grandkids are now 6 and 7, and sleep with a very raggedy 'snuggle' blankie. My daughters hold their breath every time the blankie must be washed!

my original plan was to make 2 identical for that very reason. I remember what it was like to try to get them away from them to wash!!!!

Jim's Gem 08-25-2011 01:35 PM

This one is pieced. Do you think I should piece another or should I just use a large square and quilt across is????

Jim's Gem 08-25-2011 01:36 PM

Part of the problem is that the squares are already sewn across. I would have to start over to made one that's not raggy. But if you all think that a raggy quilt would be dangerous, I certainly would not want to hurt my grandson!!!!