Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which are the best TV Quilting Shows? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-tv-quilting-shows-t6160.html)

Elizabeth A. 04-13-2008 05:28 PM

I have begun getting up with the birds to watch some of the quilting shows, but after some wasted time (and sometimes that I'd wished I'd taken notes!) I put this question to you, which are the best quilting tv shows?

annette 04-13-2008 06:08 PM

we don't get quilting shows in Oklahoma City. what tv quilting shows do you get? we use to get quilting with Alex and they took her off she was good.
Annettel lol :D

sondray 04-13-2008 06:15 PM

I like Fons & Porters, Quilt in a day and Quilt Creatively. I sometimes watch Simply Quilts, but it's not detailed enough, they seem to rush through everything.

There are quilt shows online for free too.

PamH 04-13-2008 06:39 PM

Fons and Porter is my favorite

Rose Marie 04-13-2008 10:51 PM

For learning in detail nobody beats Eleanor Burns. If you are a new quilter I suggest signing up with QNN for a year. You can see all the shows except Simply Quilts. It cost 24 dollars a year (it used to be free and it was great). Brightcove is free but they dont have the full lenght shows any more.
Quilt in a Day is on channel 379 Direct TV. Dish network also has it but I dont know what channel.

Millie 04-14-2008 04:30 AM

:twisted: I am totally disgusted. Just tried HGTV and it looks like they have dropped Simply Quilts; the only quilting program in the entire Detroit Metro area on cable TV. I know there are lots of quilt guilds in the area and hundreds of quilters, but it seems like there is a shortage of quilting stores and the TV world has completely dumped us, even PBS. What are we, orphans????

Extreme Quilter 04-14-2008 05:34 AM

I love almost every quilting show I can get. My favorites are Fons & Porter, Sewing with Nancy (I usually skip the programs on garment sewing), and Simply Quilts (reruns). We no longer get what used to be on my favorites list and I sure do miss them: Kaye Wood, Sue Hausmann's America Quilts Creatively and Quilt Central.

I love the techniques and guests on Quilting Arts, but it is way too rushed and the hostess too inexperienced to make it on my favorites list.

sandpat 04-14-2008 05:39 AM

When I first started quilting and self teaching, I loved Simply Quilts which was the only show on in my area. Now they have taken it off and I just don't like to watch tv shows on the puter..so :cry: I don't get any shows anymore and sure do miss them!

Rebecca Chambley 04-14-2008 06:21 AM

Use to watch Alex and Grandmas Attic on PBS, But both are gone and I don't get anything now. I really miss it to. I don't see any Sports programs taken off. Shows who pulls all the strings. LOL, Sorry but I call it like I see it.

Roben 04-14-2008 07:44 AM

I did was Rose is suggesting; I joined the Quilters Club of America, which gives me access to QNN so that I can see the shows when and how I want to. Quilters TV has Quilt Central and Quilt in a Day (along with several others) and is still free. Quilters TV will continually play the programming for the day, which I really like if I'm busy working on things. With QNN, you have to manually start another program after one ends (and they break up 1 program into 3 parts.)

I'm not a big fan of being stuck at the computer to watch the programs either; I was sneaky. DH's Christmas present was a 37" Hi Def TV, which has the connections to hook it up as a computer monitor. To ease the sting, I set it up so he can also watch movies over the net from Netflix :lol: DD finally bought herself a new computer, so my older one came back home and we just hooked it up to the tv.

I find myself going back to the Eleanor Burns, since I haven't been quilting long. I've picked up several of her books, but the instructions are easier for me to follow if I've seen the programs. Right now, I'm working on the 9 Patch and Stripe doing 2 baby quilts, and it helps to be able to pull up those programs.