Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   best way to cut 1 bias strip (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-way-cut-1-bias-strip-t196109.html)

sdeaaz 07-29-2012 08:38 AM

best way to cut 1 bias strip

I am making a basket quilt and each basket is different. I need one bias strip to make the handle. Does anyone have a suggestion how to cut one strip about 10" long, without wasting a lot of fabric. I am a real penny pincher. Thanks. Quilter 1234

DebraK 07-29-2012 08:42 AM

use a fat quarter?

BellaBoo 07-29-2012 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK (Post 5403053)
use a fat quarter?

My thought too!
For me, I would use a different square from a layer cake package to cut each handle. I don't know how a penny pincher thinks when it comes to quilting. LOL

Scissor Queen 07-29-2012 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by quilter 1234 (Post 5403040)
I am making a basket quilt and each basket is different. I need one bias strip to make the handle. Does anyone have a suggestion how to cut one strip about 10" long, without wasting a lot of fabric. I am a real penny pincher. Thanks. Quilter 1234

You need one square that measures about 10 inches on the diagonal. You'll cut one strip from the center diagonal and you'll have to good size triangles left. Don't think of the leftovers as waste. They're still perfectly good fabrics and you could sew them into half square triangles and make a companion matching piece.

WilliP 07-29-2012 09:23 AM

Assuming (oh dear, I hope I'm not getting us into deep dodo here!) that each basket is a different fabric, I would gather the squares to cut the baskets from (hopefully cutting on the diagonal gives you your basket) and cut the handle strip as a second cut on the same diagonal. This will leave you smaller basket/triangles to use for another quilt or borders or applique flower pieces. Post a photo when you get one of your baskets cut and layed out so we can see! LOL I need some inspiration here.
WilliP

Tartan 07-29-2012 09:45 AM

It all depends on if you want all the handles the same or different. If all the same, then I would use a fat quarter also. If different to match each basket, then I would do as suggested and cut the bias strip first out of the same square of fabric that I intended to cut the basket. The only other option would be if you could find packaged matching bias tape at LQS or Walmart.

bearisgray 07-29-2012 09:52 AM

Are your baskets all the same, or is each one different?

sdeaaz 07-29-2012 10:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I think I figured it out. All my baskets are different. It is going to be a small quilt for my mil 90th birthday. She has 12 living children and a set of twins that passed away at birth. I am setting the baskets on point... one for each child. then will do a border representing each grandchild... piano keys, flying geese... haven't decided. here is a phot of a few of the blocks and my attempt at the handle, will had applique it down. Thanks for all your help... You are all the best.

Tartan 07-29-2012 10:49 AM

Looking good! Very pretty basket blocks. Stitch the inside curve first and then the outside curve. I have always found you get a smoother handle that way.

BellaBoo 07-29-2012 11:40 AM

Very pretty!