Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best way to sell my fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-way-sell-my-fabric-t53441.html)

katied772 07-08-2010 10:10 AM

Hi,
I am new here and have some questions. I was an avid quilter for 20+ years. Over the years, like many quilters, I became a fabric addict. In recent years I accumulated a huge stash and was involved with machine quilting. Now, I have not quilted for several years and have come to the realizaton that I probably won't begin quilting again. So, with encouragement (hounding) from my husband, I have decided to sell my stash. I have many rubbermaid tubs full of quilt shop quality fabric, all new. Not sure how to sell it. I'm having a garage sale next week and thought I would just put it in the sale but most people probably won't appreciate it. Is advertising on this site a good idea? And how is it best to do that (by the piece, etc)? I am in Ohio. Don't know if this is a national site or not. I know there used to be an Ohio quilt forum but can't find it now. I also have a large Grace quilting frame, never used. Got it just as I went into machine quilting. I really need to clean out the room I have this stuff in. Any ideas? I had even thought about cutting it into squares and selling on ebay. I did that with vintage chenille pieces last year and it sold well. Thanks for any tips. Linda

patricej 07-08-2010 10:13 AM

check this topic outlining rules for selling at this site:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/s-6-1.htm

dkabasketlady 07-08-2010 10:15 AM

You better real our forum rules before you post any fabric for sale!!! It's not allowed as long as you have the "new user" title under your name. You need to make 20 or more posts in a couple of weeks or so(I think) then it'll say a regular here and then you can sell your fabric. It'll definitely sell here, but do it the right way or you'll be kicked off the board and not allowed to rejoin!!! It's happened to several other people. It seems like alot of people are joining just to sell items. I know times are hard for everyone, but follow the rules!!!

dar627742 07-08-2010 10:17 AM

i don't know how to sell your fabric,but i do have a White serger to sell,just wasn't sure what the board rules are.pm me for questions?if anyone knows how to go aboutthis,i'd appreciate the info. thanx,dar

dkabasketlady 07-08-2010 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by dar627742
i don't know how to sell your fabric,but i do have a White serger to sell,just wasn't sure what the board rules are.pm me for questions?if anyone knows how to go aboutthis,i'd appreciate the info. thanx,dar

Read the reply by PatriceJ and it'll show you how to post an item for sale.

quiltilicious 07-08-2010 10:18 AM

Hi Linda,

(please note that I would love to buy your stash, I'm sort of on a spending moratorium because I have no room for more fabric right now)

anyway, I think there are rules about how long you have to be here to post in the clasiifieds, but maybe the mods will make an exception? You'd have to ask them. People do sell fabric here. We are INTERNATIONAL, and you'd have to ship stuff around.

If there is a quilt guild or 2 near you, tell them about your yard sale and people will come by and clean out your stash - one of our old guild members decided to concentrate on doll making rather than quilting and sold off his stash in a yard sale - I enjoyed this because I picked up a trunkfull of fabric for between 1 and 2 dollars a yard (and it was really good stuff!). Our guild pretty much cleaned him out.

anyway, if you have any HOFFMAN CELESTIAL fabric - I will buy it all. (even though my husband will kill me)

katied772 07-08-2010 10:22 AM

Sorry,
Everyone is right. Should have read the rules. I know better but am always in a hurry. Please just remove this post if wrong. Thanks.

HeatherQuilts 07-08-2010 10:23 AM

You can sell it here, as long as you abide by the rules, which aren't too terribly stringent. I think this is a great place to sell, you get a lot of exposure, and there is no fee to sell.
Another option would be to contact a local quilt shop, to put fliers up there. There is a quilt shop in my area that had a huge "stash busters" sale last year. Basically, you rented a table from them, and sold your fabrics. They did all the advertising for it. There were about 15 different people last year that sold their stuff. (there was no room for more) I think they had a bigger turn-out than they expected, as there was barely room to turn around with all the shoppers.
Anyways! That would be another option for you. You could talk to a LQS about that to see of they would be willing to help you do something like that.
Best of luck!

wvdek 07-08-2010 10:27 AM

Stick it out here. It is not hard to post 20 replies nor is it hard to sell your stuff. Just abideby the rules. It is not that hard.

GrammaNan 07-08-2010 10:55 AM

You can post 20 replies really quick on this board. There are a lot of people that will be interested in purchasing your stash. You will benefit by looking at other postings for selling fabric etc. to see how others have done it in the past.