Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Big Board owners/builders..question! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/big-board-owners-builders-question-t180524.html)

jaciqltznok 02-24-2012 11:01 AM

Big Board owners/builders..question!

I am going to make a Big board to fit my old ironing board. last one I made I just used an old felted wool blanket and the silver ironing board cloth.
NOW, I see at the distributor site that I can actually order a "replacement" pad & cover set for the actual big board. The big boards measures 22" x 60" and my board will be 20" x 50".

My question is this, should I just order the replacement set to make my board? Or go with something different...what did YOU use to make yours? The set will cost me $25.00. I think this reasonable to get a cover that will fit properly.

They also carry a "silicone" covering for the big board. It also measures 22" x 60"! Seems practical for when you want to do a ton of fusible work! Like those Makenna Ryan patterns I have!

dunster 02-24-2012 12:46 PM

I'm interested in what you decide. I've been thinking about making the big board also, but haven't started to investigate how to cover it. Does silicone really help with fusible work? Does it also repel the starch I'm always getting on the board? Where are you planning to buy the pad and cover set? The sites I've seen are a lot more expensive than $25. (I'm hoping to cash in on your research, LOL)

jaciqltznok 02-24-2012 01:03 PM

I LOVE using the silicone pressing sheets, so hoping if the entire board is covered, I can iron 2-3 times more things at once! I still have to use the teflon sheet on top though!

jaciqltznok 02-24-2012 01:10 PM

I also found an ironing board cover made out of the Steady Betty stuff. It comes 24" x 60". ANy thoughts on this stuff? I have heard the fabric does not glide on it..so might be an issue really when ironing/starching large yardages?

Jan in VA 02-24-2012 02:43 PM

Jacqui,
I have The Big Board and the replacement cover on it. But I finally covered my board myself because the cover of theirs became "burned" after much "high temp" use. I used 'ironing board covering' bought by the yard online, over cotton batting, stapled to the underside of the board. I bought 2 yds. of covering at (I think) $9 per yd. and had enough left over to make a small portable ironing surface for workshops.....much less than the Big Board's replacement cover.

Jan in VA

garysgal 02-24-2012 04:00 PM

I made my own cover using batting and fabric. I have a large thingy you iron on that won't let the heat scorch anything underneath. I love the bigger board, don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.

jaciqltznok 02-24-2012 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5005055)
Jacqui,
I have The Big Board and the replacement cover on it. But I finally covered my board myself because the cover of theirs became "burned" after much "high temp" use. I used 'ironing board covering' bought by the yard online, over cotton batting, stapled to the underside of the board. I bought 2 yds. of covering at (I think) $9 per yd. and had enough left over to make a small portable ironing surface for workshops.....much less than the Big Board's replacement cover.

Jan in VA

Jan, that is how I did my first one...but thought perhaps the cover would be better since it was made for ironing! Still not sure what I will do..but I NEED a big board!

Nona 02-24-2012 07:02 PM

I have a big board and then I have a really"big" board. I covered the board with two layers of warm and natural batting and cover with duck cloth. I stapled the duck to the back of the "'big" board (measures 30 x 60). The regular big board has batting and a duck cloth cover which I put a gathering string on (like a regular ironing board). The "big" board I use when ironing the newly washed fabric.

jaciqltznok 02-24-2012 07:22 PM

did you put UNwashed duck cloth on it so it would shrink to the board?
Did you wrap the batting over the edges of the board to avoid the duck cloth getting worn edges?
Curious minds you know..

Which reminds me..on those who BUILT their boards, did your ROUND the edges of the board?
I remember my last one we did NOT round the edges and it was an issue..had to staple the coverings and smooth down the edges of the board! Must remember to do that this time as well!