Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   big learning experience/need opinions on how to quilt this (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/big-learning-experience-need-opinions-how-quilt-t25371.html)

sew cornie 09-11-2009 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ugh, I think I got myself in a bit over my head. :oops: When I drew this out, I liked the design of the Flying Dutchman blocks but didn't think about matching up all the points when putting them together block to block. Although it was challenging, I'm very pleased with how the center has turned out. Now to the borders . . . none are attached yet. I just finished sewing geese together to finish one end of the pieced border only to discover the points of those geese aren't lining up with the points of the center across the green border (does that make sense?). I'm 1/2 an inch too long on either end. I now have to separate each of those geese, measure the distance point to point of the Puzzle blocks, then trim the geese to match each measurement. What I thought I'd finish in one night will now take probably two weeks. :cry:

On the upside, this gives me more time to figure out how to quilt this. I could really use some help with ideas here. It's for my 3 year old son and I will be hand-quilting it. The center is made of 20 Flying Dutchman blocks but I don't want that to be obvious. I don't want to bring attention to the blocks as individuals, but rather keep the focus on the mosaic look as a whole. It will be bound and backed with the bright green (inner border). Any suggestions are greatly welcome.

Thanks much,
Jen

sew cornie 09-11-2009 10:21 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention . . . thread color suggestions are needed and welcome too. :)

BlueChicken 09-11-2009 10:24 PM

That's stunning!

Personally, I wouldn't pull the borders apart, I think it looks good. Lining up those points (yep, I see what you mean) will make it *too* symmetrical, if that makes sense. I like the borders as they are, just add plain squares to the end to reach the edge.

As for quilting, no idea sorry. I'm still a beginner, I'd be inclined to just stipple it simply. :-)

Quilt4u 09-12-2009 01:48 AM

Wow I love it the way it is. And for quilting and thread. If it were mine I would use a veragated(?) thread and Large swills toquilt it But that just me.

amma 09-12-2009 01:56 AM

I love your quilt!!! :D :D :D I also would leave the borders as they are, adding cornerstones. As to the quilting, I am not sure, I struggle with that decision myself.

feline fanatic 09-12-2009 04:07 AM

Lovely quilt. I'm a little confused about your border delimma. Are you saying once you put the pieced border on you think you will cut off one of the triangles? Sometimes that can be fixed by just taking in a seam here and there.

Regarding quilting... You say it is for your 3 year old son but is this going to be a utility quilt or a wall hanging? If utility, you may want to reconsider and machine quilt just for the added strength, tots are tough on stuff and if this becomes a favorite binkie it will be hauled around with him everywhere and probably converted into a super-hero's cape on occasion :lol: .
If that is an option I liked Blue's idea of an all over meander (aka stipple). The quilt's peicing is what you want to shine and the meander won't take away from that. If you are bound and determined to hand quilt I would do a single 1/4" echo inside every triangle in the quilt and again in the border, IOW quilt a 1/4" from every seam in the piecing.

GailG 09-12-2009 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I love your quilt!!! :D :D :D I also would leave the borders as they are, adding cornerstones. As to the quilting, I am not sure, I struggle with that decision myself.

I echo this thought. It's beautiful as it is.

Ninnie 09-12-2009 04:21 AM

Love everything about your quilt!
I would echo quilt 1/4 inch from all the seams, I think that would give it another dimension. I also like the border the way you have it.

feline fanatic 09-12-2009 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
I would echo quilt 1/4 inch from all the seams, I think that would give it another dimension. I also like the border the way you have it.

Great minds think alike!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ninnie 09-12-2009 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic

Originally Posted by Ninnie

Great minds think alike!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I get the green quilter's tape, which is 1/4 in, and use it. It makes your work go so much faster , and you don't have to worry about your quilting lines being straight. I don't do a lot of this, but with flying geese, I think it adds something.

:roll: :roll: My mind is anything but great! :lol: :lol: :lol: Some days, I'm just happy I still have it! :shock: