Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   BIG Problem With "Rhapsody" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/big-problem-%22rhapsody%22-t50079.html)

Boston1954 06-17-2010 09:26 AM

I truly do not know what I am going to do about this.

Rhapsody is 80 x 100 and much of it drapes down to the floor, especially when I am working on one end. Well, today I had finished a section and moved it on my little frame and found that several squares had shredded. I looked more closely and found that even the backing in that part had shredded too. At first I thought that it had caught under the legs of the frame, and then I saw the stain.

Somebody peed on it. I probably can find more of these couple of fabrics, but……how to sew them on. Could someone who has repaired an antique quilt give me some advice? This section has not been quilted. Maybe I could un-pin it and be able to get it together. I an not sure how to do it.

amma 06-17-2010 09:34 AM

Applique the pieces on in those spots?
I am so sorry this happened :(

Jim's Gem 06-17-2010 09:34 AM

I'm sorry that this happened!! I havn't repaired any old quilts but I know there are people who have!!!

quiltilicious 06-17-2010 09:49 AM

I had to go look for your other post to remind myself of the quilt you were talking about.

so you're saying that the pee caused the fabric to disintegrate? or is it just stained?

I use a product called "Kids N Pets" that actually does remove the stain and odor (so much that the critter that peed on the thing doesn't realize there's old pee on it). But you'd have to wash the quilt.

If you can replace the fabrics, you can probably rip the seams for the area that's been messed up, and replace with new fabric - it's just going to be a more difficult sewing job but it's not impossible. Ruth McDowell's "Piecing Workshop" provides instructions for how to sew an inset piece (which is what you need to do). It basically means doing a lot of pinning and going slowly.

Replacing the batting is pretty straightforward, but a pain in the butt. I don't know how you can fix the backing and make it look nice, unless you cut out an entire section and replace it whole.

Cathie_R 06-17-2010 09:49 AM

I have repaired old quilts. I usually remove badly damaged pieces and replace them. I have a collection of vintage fabrics for that purpose.

susiequilt 06-17-2010 10:08 AM

I always wondered why they have to wipe their feet after....
What a shame! I hope you can fix it. Gotta love them anyway.

Boston1954 06-17-2010 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
I always wondered why they have to wipe their feet after....
What a shame! I hope you can fix it. Gotta love them anyway.

Yes, I do love all of my kitties. I cannot blame any one, but I have my suspicions that it was the "boy". I have been re-examining the damage and it looks like just two blocks are involved. I think I can make up two new ones and hopefully add them on. Sis has more of the backing fabric and it will not bother me that it is patched as this is one I am making for myself.

It's just that I was hoping to get it done soon, and this pushes the clock backward a bit.

BellaBoo 06-17-2010 10:43 AM

I'm so sorry about your quilt. I hope you find a way to fix it. Cat urine is very strong and is corrosive. I have one inside cat and I can smell cat urine as soon as he does his business. I have two litter boxes. When he uses one, I take it out and bring in the clean one. I swap them out each time he goes. If I'm gone for the day, the cat stays in the utility room. It's big and and has a window he sits in. He's not being locked in a closet. LOL.

littlehud 06-18-2010 08:16 AM

Oh my, that is terrible. I would have no idea what to do.