Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   big spools of thread ...dumb question? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/big-spools-thread-dumb-question-t126936.html)

MargeD 06-01-2011 08:09 AM

I bought several of these large cones of fabric, then purchased a metal thingamajig that had a heavy metal base, a spool for holding the spool of thread, hen a taller metal "dowel" with a hook at the end. I've had great success with this. Sorry I can't remember the name, but I'm sure Nancy's Notions or other catalogs, or sewing machine dealer would have these. It wasn't that expensive and it really keeps the thread from tangling. That is unless TJ the kitty walks behind the machine, but she doesn't do that often.

Iamquilter 06-01-2011 08:28 AM

I have the 4 1/2 inch cones that I set behind my sewing machine and it works fine. When I need to fill a bobbin I set it where the normal spool is on the machine and put my finger in the hole on top, fill my bobbin and it works fine. I only use this thread to sew my charity quilts with and do all my quilts by hand quilting or tying.

ruthrec 06-01-2011 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Claddaughquilting
I see large spools of thread for sale, usually at a good price. I have a regular home sewing machine (Husqvarna 750) and I don't know how I would use a big cone of thread, because I don't think it would fit (?) Can these be used on home sewing machines?

I have a cone holder sitting behind my Janome and I have two safety pins taped to the back of my sewing machine to thread the thread thru before I thread the machine in the usual way. The pins are closed of course and I run the thread from the cone through the little "circles." Otherwise, the thread coming off the cone is just hanging loose for anything to get tangled up in it. Ask me how I know that.

The pins are the same size as the ones I use for basting the quilt and are taped to the machine upside down. The circle (bottom of pin) is sticking up just above the machine.

I have one pin taped close to the wheel and one just before the first step in threading the machine (don't know what it's called.) The circle is all I can see when sitting down at my machine. Sorry to be so long-winded for such a simple answer. Don't ask me what time it is... I'll explain how to build a clock...lol.

DanaNVa 06-01-2011 08:51 AM

Try taking the thread out of the needle and then through the bobbin thread guides. Then wind the bobbins. I do it on my Viking 835. My machine has another feature to wind while you sew, but I use big spools, so I don't usually have 2 spools. I do however have many, many bobbins and wind a batch - 6 at the beginning of each new quilt. Now all I need is a flashing light when the bobbin thread runs out. I've chained several yards before I noticeed there was no bobbin thread. Daydreaming away....

quilter53 06-01-2011 08:52 AM

In answer to your question, yes my machine, Viking D1, winds the bobbin while still threaded. I love it.

Originally Posted by flowerjoy
I recently bought a new machine and was talked into one of those large spools of thread, which I am using. I am not sure it is that helpful as I still have to stop to rewind the bobbin and then, of course, rethread the machine. What would be nice is a self-winding bobbin while sewing...do any machines have that feature? Anyway, when you buy the large spool of thread you also buy a stand to hold it. It works fine, but again, I haven't seen much advantage as yet.

Dodie 06-01-2011 09:07 AM

no question is dumb but I have even used serger thread on my sewing machine I purchased a thread holder at Joanns with my coupon and works great even those essential threads from connecting threads cheaper than the small spools

charlotte625 06-01-2011 09:15 AM

also there is never a dumb question....just one we don't always know the answer to.....

jmcdowell 06-01-2011 09:31 AM

I bought a thread holder for large spools and sit it next to my home machine. It works fine - because the spool sits vertical, the thread unwinds easily and smoothly.

Arleners 06-01-2011 09:52 AM

I use a coffee mug, but I place it on the floor right next to the edge of my sewing table. This way I don't ever knock it off the table, and I don't need to have a hook. Works good for me.

76 and counting 06-01-2011 10:19 AM

There is a thread holder fore the cones go to walmarks and ask for a cone thread holder It is a round plate with a hole in center that a piece medal fits this holds your cone Just follow the pictures on how to use it that is all I use.

76 and counting