Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   big spools of thread ...dumb question? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/big-spools-thread-dumb-question-t126936.html)

IBQUILTIN 06-01-2011 10:23 AM

My hubby made a cone holder that I put on the right hand side of my machine and I have a small safety pin taped to the top edge to use as a thread guide. Works well and the cone holder is not behind the machine to get knocked over like it used to.

chris_quilts 06-01-2011 10:36 AM

I use a large mouth quart canning jar for my large spools. Not any problems with tipping over and works great.

quilttiludrop 06-01-2011 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by jillaine
I have not found that the quality of the thread on these larger, inexpensive spools is good enough for regular sewing. My understanding is that this is thread for surgers/surging, and where quality is not as critical, perhaps? (I dunno, I don't surge... not with a machine anyway, yuk yuk...)

I bought a few of these from my LQS and was immediately disappointed when I started threading my machine for standard sewing.

BINGO!

luckydenny 06-01-2011 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by flowerjoy
I recently bought a new machine and was talked into one of those large spools of thread, which I am using. I am not sure it is that helpful as I still have to stop to rewind the bobbin and then, of course, rethread the machine. What would be nice is a self-winding bobbin while sewing...do any machines have that feature? Anyway, when you buy the large spool of thread you also buy a stand to hold it. It works fine, but again, I haven't seen much advantage as yet.

I have a suggestion that I have used for a long time regarding bobbins and sewing When I begin a project I fill 4 or 5 or 6 bobbins, depending on the project. You can also do this while you are sewing but that does require two spools of thread.

Now I have a question I hope someone will answer regarding the large coness of thread. Is the thread suitable for piecing or just the actual quilting?

Nona 06-01-2011 11:11 AM

as you can see, there are several ways to handle the large spools. I have used all of them and most have been successful. I use a quart mason jar and put a bobbin on my upright spool pin and direct the thread around that and then thread the machine as usual. I keep the jar to the right of my machine so it doesn't get knocked over by the sewing. In respnse to a question about self threading machines. I believe that some of the newer machines have this feature. None of my do, but I am the queen of bobbins. I have at least 20 bobbins for each of my machines. When I start a project, I just load up at least a dozen bobbins before I start and then I don't have to stop very often. You can find all sorts of bobbins to fit your machine through a supply house or ebay etc.

Caroline S 06-01-2011 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have had this large spool holder for over 30 years. I think I purchased it when I was doing upholstery work. It has a heavy metal base. Very sturdy and heavy and also can be fastened by screws to a work surface. Works great with my Elna 7300 Pro Quilting Queen machine. You might still be able to find something similar.

My large spool holder
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205174[/ATTACH]

nhweaver 06-01-2011 11:18 AM

I bought mine at Joann's years ago, it is a great money saver when you find the large spools at a yard sale. My dh added a piece of wood on the bottom for a weight.

Originally Posted by Claddaughquilting
I see large spools of thread for sale, usually at a good price. I have a regular home sewing machine (Husqvarna 750) and I don't know how I would use a big cone of thread, because I don't think it would fit (?) Can these be used on home sewing machines?

Carol Ann 06-01-2011 11:23 AM

I also have a spool holder like Carolina S. I bought mine when I purchased my sewing machine in 2005, I love it.

GABBYABBY 06-01-2011 12:04 PM

I use the cone thread on my Viking. There is
an attachment you can buy that goes on the
sewing machine thread holder, or you can just
set the thread in a tall coffee cup or Jo-Ann's
has a special cone thread holder for around $8.00?

JUNEC 06-01-2011 12:16 PM

I think I just found a good use for the bottle dryer my dad made - piece of wood with 3 dowels drilled into it