Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding; machine or hand? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding%3B-machine-hand-t149500.html)

orangeroom 09-01-2011 12:31 AM

When you attach your binding, do you machine sew it on, or machine sew the top and hand sew the back? Why?

I prefer hand sewing on the back, but understand why some prefer machine.

Sallyflymi 09-01-2011 12:43 AM

Prefer hand sewing the back. Like listening to programs so i do needle work then.

katier825 09-01-2011 01:04 AM

I prefer the look of hand sewing the back down. Mainly because it's not always easy to get it looking good on the back when you machine stitch it. I did recently glue baste the binding, then stitching it by machine. The first one was just ok. I adjusted the needle a bit and got it better on the next one. Last weekend I made a doll quilt for my granddaughter and forgot to move the needle over. I hated how it came out! But it was only a doll quilt, so I let it go. I forgot to make myself a note of what to use for the needle position, so I need to experiment and stick a note on my machine to remind me.

Lacelady 09-01-2011 01:16 AM

I definitely hand sew on the back - it's one of my favourite parts of producing a quilt.

orangeroom 09-01-2011 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I definitely hand sew on the back - it's one of my favourite parts of producing a quilt.

Me too! I sit, watching tv, while covered with the quilt, hand sewing on the binding. To me, it's the finalizing step in adding love to a quilt for someone special. As it's providing warmth to me as well. :)

mcdaniel023 09-01-2011 01:48 AM

I have arthritis in my hands. I have a hard time with hand sewing. So, machine it is.

Quilting Angel 09-01-2011 01:52 AM

I'm sure this will sound crazy, but I don't even know how to hand sew...lol. I just started quilting almost a year ago, and I am completely self taught. Although, I have got great advice here on this board. I machine sew my binding down to the back of my quilts and then I machine sew the binding to the front with a decorative stitch. I really like it that way. I think it looks so neat. In the beginning, I was sewing it down on the front and then on the back, but you could always see that stitching on the front which looked messy to me, so that's why I started doing the decorative stitch.

mmdquilts 09-01-2011 02:00 AM

I usually put the binding on the quilt by machine and hand stitch it in place on the back. I have put it on by hand as well.

mic-pa 09-01-2011 02:33 AM

I used to always sew the binding by hand to the back, but arthritis has "hit" so now I sew the binding by machine to the back and bring it around to the front and machine sew it with a decorative stitch/

hopetoquilt 09-01-2011 02:35 AM

When I handstitch the binding down, I knot ever time I add a stitch. I love the look of it and I also think the mitered corners look better on the side with the handstitching so I hand stitch on the FRONT of the quilt. I know most people don't do it this way...