Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding corners (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-corners-t204408.html)

wattse2000 10-27-2012 04:28 PM

Binding corners

2 Attachment(s)
The corners on my a quilt are developing a strange shape. I hope you can tell by the photo that they are "jutting" out to one side. It seems like there is too much fabric in the corner so it bunches up a bit. I machine sew to the front and then ladder stitch to the back. I have used this technique on several other quilts and don't remember having this problem. In addition, the stitching on the front is pulling out at the corners. What is going on? Any advice out there?

wattse2000 10-27-2012 04:30 PM

Just noticed the dog hair in the picture. The old iPad takes better pictures than I thought! Sorry:). Gross!

Tashana 10-27-2012 04:36 PM

I get that sometimes as well. My guess is that we either do not have a straight stitch when attaching our binding or our quilts have minds of their own and like pointy wonky corners. Hopefully somebody smarter than me will shed some light on this issue.
By the way, everything looks better, and tastes better, with a dog hair in it LOL

pattypurple 10-27-2012 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by wattse2000 (Post 5617068)
Just noticed the dog hair in the picture. The old iPad takes better pictures than I thought! Sorry:). Gross!

No suggestions but a question. Did you post the picture from your iPad? I haven't had any luck doing it. The area to select the picture from your computer was greyed out. Any suggestions?

wattse2000 10-27-2012 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by pattypurple (Post 5617134)
No suggestions but a question. Did you post the picture from your iPad? I haven't had any luck doing it. The area to select the picture from your computer was greyed out. Any suggestions?

I took the pics on the ipad and there was an option to select "camera roll" when I went to attach the image. Does that help?

Scissor Queen 10-27-2012 04:59 PM

Did you trim your corner square with a square ruler? If your miter fold doesn't line up exactly with the point it can end up a little wonky too.

QuiltingGrannie 10-27-2012 05:06 PM

I also find that at times if my stitch, when I attach by machine to the front, is not exactly to the end when I start each side, and the layers of fabric are not fully to the edge that the mitered corners can be off just a bit.
Sometimes they are perfect, sometimes not so much without a lot of manipulating as I hand stitch it.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie
Quilter's Pantry

Daylesewblessed 10-27-2012 05:07 PM

Looking at the grain in your excellent pictures, it doesn't appear to me that the corners of your quilt aren't square.
If they are square, then the problem is with the attachment of the binding.

Are you stopping the stitching that attaches your binding to the front at exactly the same distance from the edge as the seam allowance width and backstitching there? When you start the seam on the next edge after the corner, your line of stitching will touch (or nearly touch) the stopping point of the other seam. If those seams overlap or cross in the corner, your fabric won't turn correctly.

Another possibility is that when you make the fold in the binding at the corner, you may not be making a 45 degree angle with the fabric that folds under the stitching. A little wonky there can make a mess. Looking at your picture, I think that fold technique might be your problem.

I am hoping others can zero in on it and help you more.

Dayle

Silver Needle 10-27-2012 05:08 PM

I always measure and mark with a pencil where to stop stitching before turning the quilt for the next side. I use 1/4" seams so I mark 1/4" from the edge, stop with needle down and take several stitches backwards. When folding the binding up I am extremely careful the corner forms a perfect right angle and the folds are exactly matching. When i am ready to start down the next side I start with the binding under the presser foot and backstitch to the edge then start forward again. IMHO a walking foot is necessary for good results. Hope this helps. I also like the ladder stitch for attaching to the back.

Daylesewblessed 10-27-2012 05:14 PM

Silver Needle has done a much better job of describing the technique that makes excellent corners.

I use a 3/8" seam allowance when attaching the binding. When I get about 4" from the corner, I measure up 3/8" from the end and mark it with a pin perpendicular to the end. I slowly approach the pin and stop right when I get there and then backstitch. It works every time for me.

Dayle