Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   With the binding, does it matter...? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-does-matter-t59454.html)

eightylady 08-15-2010 04:28 AM

Just reading about pinning/basting around edge of quilt before trimming (?) and binding...when do you know that binding should go from front and hand-stitched to the back or visa-versa? Thanks

erstan947 08-15-2010 04:43 AM

If My binding is hand finished I machine sew it on the front and hand stitch on the back. If I am machine finishing the binding I machine attach the binding on back than machine stitch it on the front. Hope this helps.

sewcrafty 08-15-2010 04:51 AM

Basically, machine sewing the binding down on the front and hand sewing on the back is the way I normally do it. IMHO feels it looks much nicer, but I do prefer the look of handwork anyways.

Deb watkins 08-15-2010 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
If My binding is hand finished I machine sew it on the front and hand stitch on the back. If I am machine finishing the binding I machine attach the binding on back than machine stitch it on the front. Hope this helps.

I also do this. Alot depends on what the quilt is going to be used for. Babies and kids - that will be washed alot, machine finish on the front.

pieces 08-15-2010 05:25 AM

Maybe its a personal preference topic. (?)
I machine stitch my binding on the front, turn and hand stitch to the back. On the Downy quilts they request the binding to be stitched well because of the repeated washings. So after hand stitching on the back I top stitch on the front binding. Since I hand stitched first I am sure to catch the back and get a nice
finished binding.

pocoellie 08-15-2010 06:05 AM

You can do either way, there's no wrong or right way.

amma 08-15-2010 06:39 AM

It is all a matter of personal preference :D:D:D

Bobbielinks 08-15-2010 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by pieces
Maybe its a personal preference topic. (?)
I machine stitch my binding on the front, turn and hand stitch to the back. On the Downy quilts they request the binding to be stitched well because of the repeated washings. So after hand stitching on the back I top stitch on the front binding. Since I hand stitched first I am sure to catch the back and get a nice
finished binding.

Very good idea! I had not thought about machine stitching on the front after hand stitching on the back. I always machine stitch the front then hand stitched the back since I never could catch the back when I tried to machine stitch from the front and called it finished - love your idea of hand stitching the back then machine stitching the front.

paintmejudy 08-15-2010 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947

Exactly the way I do my bindings, too.

littlehud 08-15-2010 08:22 AM

It's what you like. I like to machine stitch on the front and hand stitch on the back. I have been known to machine stitch on the back and use a machine decorative stitch on the front. It depends on the quilt.