Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding -- How can I keep the binding seams from ending up at a corner? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-how-can-i-keep-binding-seams-ending-up-corner-t153906.html)

LeslieFrost 09-18-2011 10:19 AM

I usually use diagonal seams and piece the binding somewhat longer than needed. Then, I just begin putting it on the front, creating mitered corners as I go. If I get to a corner and have a binding seam, there's really nothing to do, is there?

What could I do differently?

Thanks!

Quilter7x 09-18-2011 10:20 AM

Sounds like Murphy's Law to me - that happens to me all the time! When you figure out how to not have this happen, you'll make a lot of other ladies very happy! :lol:

Scissor Queen 09-18-2011 10:21 AM

Lay the quilt out and lay the binding along the edges. If a seam is close to a corner move it one way or the other until there aren't any seams on any corner. Then put a big straight pin in the spot where you want to start.

virtualbernie 09-18-2011 10:22 AM

Why not do a test run? Run your binding around your quilt without sewing and you can get a general idea where the seams will fall and make adjustments on where to start attaching your binding.

quiltinggirl 09-18-2011 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Lay the quilt out and lay the binding along the edges. If a seam is close to a corner move it one way or the other until there aren't any seams on any corner. Then put a big straight pin in the spot where you want to start.

I use this method as well!!

jaciqltznok 09-18-2011 10:34 AM

simply measure your intersections on the binding then measure your quit and try to start within that paremeter!

EasyPeezy 09-18-2011 10:39 AM

I do a test run also. Put a pin where you want to start then go round the quilt.
Adjust if needed. Yes, you have to roll that binding again but it's worth it. :-D

PurplePassion 09-18-2011 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
Why not do a test run? Run your binding around your quilt without sewing and you can get a general idea where the seams will fall and make adjustments on where to start attaching your binding.

That's what I do, works great to think ahead.

LeslieFrost 09-18-2011 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
simply measure your intersections on the binding then measure your quit and try to start within that paremeter!

This is what I was looking for -- a way to reason it out, rather than lay the binding all the way around the quilt.

AliKat 09-18-2011 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

I do this too. That way I can see if there will be a problem and be ready to adjust the binding before I get there. I still check a few feet away from each corner just in case I made an error. It is like measuring twice. Less errors this way.

ali