Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   binding...oh how i hate it! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-oh-how-i-hate-t210105.html)

twoxover 01-04-2013 06:19 PM

binding...oh how i hate it!

i finished a table runner tonight, and put the binding on totally by machine. stitched it first to the back, then wrapped it around nd stitched down the front. ok, i readily admit that binding is my weak link in quilting..i am HORRIBLE at it. but really...will not be doing this again! ok, i lie, i probably will...but gosh...it looks so bad. can anyone give hints??

betsey

Stitchnripper 01-04-2013 06:27 PM

You can try using some kind of decorative stitch which will camouflage lots of issues.

mighty 01-04-2013 06:30 PM

I saw your binding in the pics and it looked good! I use Sharon Schambers method. I sew the back by machine and the front by hand. Check out her method on youtube she uses glue and it really makes binding a lot eaiser for me!

sewbizgirl 01-04-2013 06:31 PM

I do mine totally by machine and can say you get better and better, the more you do. Just keep practicing and revising your technique and you will have something you are pleased with.

katier825 01-04-2013 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by mighty (Post 5762797)
I saw your binding in the pics and it looked good! I use Sharon Schambers method. I sew the back by machine and the front by hand. Check out her method on youtube she uses glue and it really makes binding a lot eaiser for me!

me too! it's comes out better this way.

Shadowirish 01-04-2013 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by katier825 (Post 5762808)
me too! it's comes out better this way.

I just tried the glue method and mine came out so much better...still need to practice more.

twoxover 01-04-2013 06:44 PM

i will go watch...thank you! it's frustrating to not be good at binding, lol.

irishrose 01-04-2013 06:49 PM

I saw your binding and I think a light pressing would be all it needs. It looks good. I sew mine to the front and SITD from the front so my back looks like your front. Works for me if I go slower than usual.

AliKat 01-04-2013 06:54 PM

IRON, IRON, IRON!

I think the tute I wrote is still on the QB.

Sew binding on the back of the quilt. Iron it so it is flat with the sticking out from the back, Then turn it over and iron it to the front. Now use some school glue and put that under the binding flap. Then iron it in place, checking it covers your stitching line from sewing it on the back of the quilt. Then use your decorative stitches and sew it to the front. I like what I call 'chicken feet' for my stitching.

PaperPrincess 01-05-2013 05:46 AM

I do a combo of IrishRose's and Alicat's method. Cut the binding, don't iron, sew to front, iron twice (it really doesn't take long at all). I don't use glue, and don't iron the corners. SITD slowly from the front, manipulating the corners as I come to them. If it's a kid's quilt I sometimes will use a decorative stitch, and maybe in some future time if I were going to enter a quilt for judging somewhere I would do it by hand, but other than than that this method works for me.