Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-question-t50312.html)

taiboo 06-18-2010 07:07 PM

Ok, tonight i did binding on the picture in my avatar.... A sewed it on the front and hand sewed it to the back...

HOW the heck do people do that??? I did the entire thing today and it came out pretty decently for my first time ever, but wow are my fingers killing me... I even had rubber things on the tips of my fingers and I don't get how people hand sew this without pain.

Am i doing something wrong?

pam1966 06-18-2010 07:10 PM

Probably not, no! But maybe if you posted a picture of the back where you attached the binding you might get a few pointers on easier ways to do it.

taiboo 06-18-2010 07:13 PM

I will try tomorrow, it is flag fabric on the back and flag binding so you really can't see anything unless it is microscopic, I did my best to hide all stitches too.

Originally Posted by pam1966
Probably not, no! But maybe if you posted a picture of the back where you attached the binding you might get a few pointers on easier ways to do it.

Prism99 06-18-2010 07:14 PM

Did you use a thimble? I couldn't hand sew without a thimble; my fingers would get too sore. Also, how large was the needle you used? A thicker needle with a big eye will be harder to push through the fabric than a finer needle with a small eye.

Here is my favorite video on how to machine-stitch binding on both sides:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprg5...os=_w0gFlqkSgE

sharon b 06-18-2010 07:15 PM

No you probably did it fine, you are just using muscles differently and that is probably why they are sore. My fingers get sore also , so I stretch them frequently when hand sewing :lol:

Plus if you are nervous or tense you tend to grip the needle harder :wink:

Ps 150 06-18-2010 07:16 PM

I attach all of my binding by sewing on the front and then hand sewing the back. The first time just about killed my fingers but I thought it was just because I have arthritis at a young age and I was just being a baby. But, right now I'm working on 2 baby quilts and last night I worked on the binding for 3 hours and finished that one up today with another 2 hours by just taking it slow and my fingers are fine. Then I started the other baby quilt, lol, and got a good 3 hours in on that one tonight. Tomorrow I'll finish it up for shipping. Just keep working those finger muscles and it'll get easier.

katei 06-19-2010 01:14 AM

I'm sure you weren't doing anything wrong. Try a smaller needle - it'll be easier to push through. If that doesn't work, try a glass of wine! :lol:

Gal 06-19-2010 02:01 AM

In my experience sewing is like any other trade, you must use the correct tools for the job, a smaller needle, (a new sharp one) plus a thimble when you have to, will make any hand sewing job easier, I hand stitch my bindings on the back no trouble and rarely use a thimble, I assume we are talking about regular cotton fabric for the quilt top here. In my work we used to sell needles of all kinds, believe me there are hundreds of different kinds all for different uses, it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with some of the more popular ones used for hand sewing and quilting.
It will make your sewing tasks a lot easier and less painful!
Gal

Ninnie 06-19-2010 02:54 AM

try buying some betweens, they are quilting needles,and are smaller, and will go through the material easier, also aneedle puller is a great help, and of course a thimble. There are tutorials here on the board to help also. One on using elmers glue to help keep it in place. It does get easier as you do more. Love the quilt, ver pretty

sewcrafty 06-19-2010 03:47 AM

I've never gotten hand pain from sewing on a binding. :?: Quilting YES!!!! When you're sewing the binding down, are you picking up just the material to sew or the batting with it?