Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-t10051.html)

quilterj 08-09-2008 02:45 PM

Well I went to a binding class today. I finally know how to make the binding. I am so excited. But the class I took the teacher hand stitches the back. Well I have artheritis in my wrists. And having to stitch small stithes takes some time for me. Right now I am only about 1/2 way on one side. I am not a hand sewer. I haven't done this in years only sewing on clothes. One of the ladies in the class was almost done with one side before I could get a good start. My wrists are hurting some now so I guess I will have to wait to do more and put on them darn wrists braces again. She was going to show us how to sew it with the machine but we ran out of time. I will post a picture when I finish it.

Jeanette

Rose Marie 08-09-2008 03:30 PM

Square up your top before putting the backing and batting on.
This is important to keep the seams straight when you stitch in the ditch.
I bought a stitch in the ditch foot for my machine and it makes it so easy to stay in the ditch.
I dont like to pin my binding so use Steam a Seam to hold the back binding in place before I sew it by machine.

Knot Sew 08-09-2008 03:37 PM

steam a seam on the binding what a great idea, never would have thought of it :D

Bill'sBonBon 08-09-2008 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
I dont like to pin my binding so use Steam a Seam to hold the back binding in place before I sew it by machine.

Wow that is so simple,I hate doing bindings because of that handsewing. Thankyou,Thank you.
Bill'sBonBon.

quilterj 08-09-2008 07:03 PM

So do all of you machine stitch binding or hand stitch? I have the ditch stitch foot but haven't learned to use it yet. By the time I am ready for my next binding I'm going to machine it. I know it is alot quicker. But I am glad that I was taught this way too. The teacher was going to show us another way other than the ditch stitch.

penski 08-09-2008 07:38 PM

i put a fine line of elmers washable glue in the middle fold of my binding the one that sits next to the unfinished edge of the quilt i hit the glue spot with a iron and it holds it in place

Barb M 08-09-2008 08:17 PM

I machine stitch the front of my binding, but then hand stitch the back. I think it would be possible to machine stitch the back in the ditch though? maybe

reneebobby 08-11-2008 03:08 AM

I bought months ago something that helps you machine bind (but I can't figure out how to use it) Because I hate hand stitching all around the quilt, I would much rather use the machine for everything, boy am I sounding lazy.

bebe 08-11-2008 03:34 AM

I need a refresher course. Any tips u can pass on???
It is good to take classes and stay refreshed.

Quilting Aggi 08-11-2008 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Barb M
I machine stitch the front of my binding, but then hand stitch the back. I think it would be possible to machine stitch the back in the ditch though? maybe

I do the exact same thing!