Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bit off more than I can chew?!? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bit-off-more-than-i-can-chew-t181199.html)

tree_tyger 02-29-2012 11:22 PM

Bit off more than I can chew?!?

So my hubby is away, and I have all the time in the word to quilt, and yet I find myself so unmotivated. What gives?!? It doesn't help that I've decided to tackle a big project (a QAYG king sized warm wishes quilt). I love the fabrics. It all seems easy enough. After starching & ironing my fabric a few days ago (boy I forgot how long that takes alone) and returning to the store to buy a bigger cutting mat for my 12" squares (this morning), I finally started cutting tonight. So . . . 18 squares later, and I'm pooped. Not to mention, I remeasured the remaining fabric and now realize I will come up short and will need to return for more fabric. Oh well! I guess, I'll buy enough to make pillowcases too! Seriously, what is wrong with me? This was supposed to go quick . . . ha ha! I'm nowhere near even getting close to my sewing machine at this rate. Does anyone else ever feel like this or am I just slow?

earthwalker 02-29-2012 11:33 PM

Nope...'tis the rule for such times:) If your husband was home and you were snowed under with other tasks you would be itching to quilt! Besides all that ironing and cutting for such a big project is a bit tiring....you will be flying once you get through that bit.

QuiltingCrazie 03-01-2012 01:12 AM

I'm there with ya ...I love quilting but as soon as I give myself a deadline I can't seem to get all my ducks in a row...I try to not worry about time..mother of 5..4 at home if I'm given time I really don't know what to with it! 10 years quilting and I still haven't made a quilt just for me, in the works tho! Good luck and happy quilting

Arleners 03-01-2012 03:32 AM

I'm always amazed at how impatient I get at the prep work. I think I get amnesia each time when it hits me that this phase takes so darn long! I'm itching to do the sewing, but can't get past the initial stuff. I poop out too when I should press on. (oops - no pun intended)

However, if I set up right the construction goes so easy. Also, a lot of times I am writing instructions for the classes I teach so I have to be orderly and clear so I can explain what to do for others.

QuiltnNan 03-01-2012 04:39 AM

before I was a quilter, i always maintained the same thing about sewing garments... it takes longer to plan, pin the pattern, and cut out the pieces than it does to do the sewing. i actually enjoy the prep work in quilting. knowing that the fabric is clean and free of chemicals, and the fabric is smooth from ironing and has that nice smell.... love it! But I actually do that part as soon as the fabric comes into the house. So all the fabric in my stash is ready to go.

Joset 03-01-2012 04:53 AM

i never give my self a deadline. maybe i should every time i say i will
finish a quilt i end up starting another. go figure. lol

pinkberrykay 03-01-2012 05:09 AM

Im a newbie quilter and am shocked at how long things are taking me to do! What seems in mt head will take a few hours takes a few days. I am ok with that I just have to plan for it:). I take a lot of breaks which is probably why it takes so long:D but also helps break up the ironing and cutting.

Diannia 03-01-2012 07:35 AM

I've always been one to want to be on the "next" step instead of the one I'm on. I've been working on a scrappy quilt and one night I was wishing the same wish when I felt God speak to me. His message was to enjoy the process. I just kept feeling that over and over. My hubby and I are separated and have been for a year now. I'm not a patient person and feel God was speaking to me about more than just the quilt. :)

Anyway...learn to enjoy the process don't rush the project whatever it may be...
Diannia

Diannia 03-01-2012 07:36 AM

I've always been one to want to be on the "next" step instead of the one I'm on. I've been working on a scrappy quilt and one night I was wishing the same wish when I felt God speak to me. His message was to enjoy the process. I just kept feeling that over and over. My hubby and I are separated and have been for a year now. I'm not a patient person and feel God was speaking to me about more than just the quilt. :)

Anyway...learn to enjoy the process don't rush the project whatever it may be...
Diannia

barny 03-01-2012 07:43 AM

Well to those of you and me, who want to be on the next step, We're not supposed to worry about tomorrow, tomorrow will take care of itself, remember?