Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bleeding turquoise batik (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bleeding-turquoise-batik-t199423.html)

Riebejamen 09-02-2012 08:50 PM

Bleeding turquoise batik

I am just about finished piecing a mystery quilt, and used a breautiful turquoise batik for one of the fabrics; but I didn't realize that it would bleed. I figured that out when I used accidently used water, instead of Best Press to set a seam. BUT, the fabric doesn't always bleed. Something white and gooey got on one of the small squares of the batik in one of the borders. (No clue what it is, or where it came from!) I scraped it off, and tried Gma's Secret Spot Remover to remove the rest. No luck, so I went to straight dish soap and a toothbrush (that usually works very well for oil-based stains.) Didn't work either, BUT I forgot that the batik bleeds.......so now I have turquoise dye bleeding through the seams onto the neighboring orange yellow batik background! I tried pouring cool water over the stained areas with some success, but decided to stop, b/c I am just further wetting the top, and causing more bleeding. I patted the area as dry as I could and am letting it air dry. From what I've read I should use synthrapol to remove the bleeding, but ONLY when the quilt is done. Can I use Synthrapol to get out the current stains, should I just rip out the damaged triangles and be careful reattaching replacements? I managed to contain the dye damage to that area of border and neighboring block. But there are two more borders to add. Won't the whole top need to be synthrapol-ed or can I do just that area? Can I finish the top and then hand wash with synthrapol and then have it quilted? It's likely that other areas are going to bleed. How do I manage this? I feel like a dummy!
Thanks!

Scissor Queen 09-03-2012 02:12 AM

Unset dye is unset unless you do something to set it. After the quilt is finished wash it in lots of water and the dye will come out. You may have to wash it two or three times but it will come out eventually.

ArtsyOne 09-03-2012 03:57 AM

The sticky white stuff is probably the wax that was used to block the dye from areas of the pattern. Usually that stuff has been washed out by the time you buy the fabric. Does the bleeding of the turquoise really detract from the design? Please post a photo.

#1piecemaker 09-03-2012 04:03 AM

I'd use a color catcher when you wash it. For now, just let it dry and wash it a couple of times after it is finished. Don't attempt to rip and undo or wash now. Finish it and then wash. Good luck!!!

Tartan 09-03-2012 05:47 AM

From what I understand, Synthrapol is for suspending the loose die in the water as you wash the quilt. You also have to use hot water. I think I would sew a batik triangle to a white triangle and try to see how it reacts to washing. If the sample doesn't do well (continues to bleeds into the light fabric after Synthrapol) I might rethink my quilt. Is the batik in the interior of the quilt too?

Riebejamen 09-03-2012 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, Here's a picture of the damaged area. The arrows show where the turquoise bled. The background is not as bad dry as it was wet. The bleeding really shows at the bottom left arrow. :-(. I've got a new square cut for the white goo square and am ready to piece it in. Is ironing going to set the bled dye in the neighbor blocks? Thanks!

bearisgray 09-03-2012 01:43 PM

I don't know about Synthropol, etc. to tell you what to do.

This does tell us that other colors than reds can be bleeders.

Dina 09-03-2012 02:04 PM

I don't know anything about stopping bleeding of colors, but I love your quilt! What beautiful fabric.

Dina

Lori S 09-03-2012 03:02 PM

Definately get some Synthropol! Do not dry it or and any heat to this quilt until you can get it washed with Synthropol. I have had similar issues and the Syntropol worked... do not wait to long.

Riebejamen 09-03-2012 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5488956)
Definately get some Synthropol! Do not dry it or and any heat to this quilt until you can get it washed with Synthropol. I have had similar issues and the Syntropol worked... do not wait to long.

How long is "too long"? If I get it to the long armer by Wednesday, she might have it done for me in 2 weeks, then there is binding......