Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Block of the Month (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/block-month-t83443.html)

catrancher 12-17-2010 08:52 AM

I'm working on three different block of the month quilts. One comes from one quilt shop. I get the blocks every three weeks with plenty of fabric to complete them. They other two come from a different quilt shop. On the other two, I've gotten the blocks sporadically, sometimes missing an entire month in between. Usually, I have to use a few pieces from my stash to supplement because I don't have enough fabric, or because what I they give me isn't appropriate. In addition, the blocks have come out of sequence. When I call, they tell me they haven't received the others, but it'll come in time. Yesterday, they sent the pattern and fabric for one, but only the fabric for the other--no pattern. When I called them this morning, they told me they had cut the fabric, but that they didn't have the pattern. She apologized and said she'd put a note on my card and that I'd get the pattern later.

I've never done a block of the month before, and so I don't know whether this happens commonly or if it's a problem with the shop.

catrancher 12-17-2010 08:52 AM

I'm working on three different block of the month quilts. One comes from one quilt shop. I get the blocks every three weeks with plenty of fabric to complete them.

The other two come from a different quilt shop. On the other two, I've gotten the blocks sporadically, sometimes missing an entire month in between. Usually, I have to use a few pieces from my stash to supplement because I don't have enough fabric, or because what I they give me isn't appropriate.

In addition, the blocks have come out of sequence. When I call, they tell me THEY haven't received the others, but it'll come in time. Yesterday, they sent the pattern and fabric for one, but only the fabric for the other--no pattern. When I called them this morning, they told me they had cut the fabric, but that they hadn't received the pattern. She apologized and said she'd put a note on my card and that I'd get the pattern eventually.

I've never done a block of the month before, and so I don't know whether this happens commonly or if it's a problem with the shop. It seems to me that when a shop advertises a BOM and takes your start-up fee, that they should be able to give you the whole thing before you start, but what do I know? Does anyone know how this works? Do you think it's the shop? The designer? If this is common practice, I don't think I'd sign up again. For sure, I'm not going to sign up with this shop.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 12-17-2010 09:45 AM

That sounds a little frustrating, OK so I don't have the patience to wait for a whole month for one block.
With doing the RR here can see the time needed between rounds.
Good Luck :)

klgreene 12-17-2010 10:17 AM

I personally wouldn't be happy with that. If I'm doing a block of the month, I want it to come once a month, and if it is supposed to be with fabric, it should have the fabric and pattern together.

Jamiestitcher62 12-17-2010 10:19 AM

Wow, that sounds weird. I love getting my BOM's from Fatquartershop.com. I swear they give you enough fabric to do the project twice over.

I have three BOM's going and eventually I'll get caught up.

My LQS orders all the fabric for the BOM's depending on how many people sign up. They usually don't cut the fabric until right before the beginning of each month. The patterns do come from the distributor though, so that might be right that they didn't get them or in the correct order. They may just be behind on the fabric cutting or rearranging how they are cutting it based on what patterns they've actually received.

Which BOM's are you doing?

catrancher 12-17-2010 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
Which BOM's are you doing?

Checkerboard flowers--no problems there
Home is Where the Heart Is--out of sequence, and whole months have been skipped before receipt of the next one
A Kittens Tale--out of sequence, fabric, but no pattern this month (and not enough fabric)

Jamiestitcher62 12-17-2010 11:21 AM

Aaahh, I wanted to do A Kittens Tale, but the online place where I saw it, was sold out.

I can't believe they couldn't get the amount of fabric correct. Gees!

Jamiestitcher62 12-17-2010 11:29 AM

I read some of your blog. OMG you have such cute kitties. I have an extremely allergic epileptic kitty. If it's green, she's allergic to it. Plus she can't eat wheat, beef, turkey and soybean.

She scratches herself into a frenzy and has to get a shot of Depromedrol every couple of months. My vet's having a fit over giving her steroids so much. I changed vets. They had me giving her allergy shots, that's 500 large I'll never see again. Not working.

pookie ookie 12-17-2010 12:31 PM

I've never heard of anyone having that kind of problems with a BOM. Maybe once they'll forget a fabric or something due to basic human error and send it out asap. Nothing seriously frustrating though.

Sorry about this one being sloppy.

I have to give thumbs up to fatquartershop and Stitchin' Heaven. I like them immensely. Quick, competent and with great customer service.

amma 12-17-2010 12:43 PM

I was doing a BOM at my LQS, they cut some of the pieces so small, that the tiniest bit of fraying caused them to be too small to use. Twice they completely omitted a fabric, and told me that it was there when they packaged it. Well, it wasn't when I dumped out the envelope on my table LOL I ended up dropping out.
I will try again someday, just not through them :D:D:D