Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bobbin confession (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bobbin-confession-t183079.html)

valsma 03-19-2012 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 5067182)
Sorry, I don't share your shame! I was taught to pull the thread thru the little hole and I just do it out of habit now! I've always been afraid my bobbin wouldn't wrap correctly or tight enough if I don't do it.

Me to. I always pull it through the hole.

RugosaB 03-19-2012 06:47 PM

My machine has a place that you hold the thread end, and it cuts it as it starts winding. It usues plastic bobbins and there is no hole

Morag 03-19-2012 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5067502)
I thread the hole, hold on to the thread until it has several winds, and snip the tail close to the surface. I think this comes from taking Home Ec classes with a teacher (sew police) standing over you.

I do the same thing......I put mine in the hole and hold on then snip the little tail off....

Dee 03-19-2012 08:17 PM

I share the shame. I only wet end and wind thread around and let it wind. No problem. Used to do the little hole. To me its senseless. But thats just me.

singerbabe 03-19-2012 08:37 PM

I've been sewing since the 60s, and NEVER put the end of the thread in that little hole. I would do what you do, and had no problems with bobbins not winding well, until..................I got a new Pfaff Creative 2.0 two years ago. Now if I don't thread it through the little hole, my bobbins wind too loosely. I'm finding my newer, more expensive machine a lot more fussy about many things than my old Kenmores and Singer ever were. I still love it, though!

My time 03-26-2012 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by indymta (Post 5067315)
Same here and I hold on to the thread for a bit to make sure it doesn't tangle.

I do it this way as well. Have you ever had to detangle a bobbin?? It's not much fun, and a real waste.

wolph33 03-26-2012 04:01 PM

no-I hold the thread thru the little hole

pinecone 03-26-2012 05:50 PM

I poke the thread through the hole, wind a bit, snip the end and finish winding. That said, I marked all the holes with a permanent marker so I can see it better.

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 5067608)
... and Mom's sewing machine was the old "bullet" style bobbin. .

I have my grandmother's machine with one of those. Alas I can't figure out how to put the little barbell shaped bobbin in and threaded. *sigh*

piney

kiffie2413 03-26-2012 06:31 PM

I thread thru the hole, but, as crashnquilt said, I have wondered if I did not get the thread trimmed close enough after bobbin wound if it would tangle around the bobbin case...so far guess I get it trimmed short enough, no tangling problems yet...

lynn_z 03-26-2012 10:44 PM

Never heard of that before! I always do it the way you do and was never told any different. I think all the people who are trying to thread thru those little holes are wrong! Aren't there enough little places to wind thru and thread as it is? We have no shame.