Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bobbin confession (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bobbin-confession-t183079.html)

Christine27 03-17-2012 06:16 AM

Habits die hard. I grew up wrapping the thread so that's what I still do. No shame about it since it just works better for me.

DogHouseMom 03-17-2012 06:44 AM

I thread the hole, hold on to the thread until it has several winds, and snip the tail close to the surface. I think this comes from taking Home Ec classes with a teacher (sew police) standing over you.

pjaco 03-17-2012 06:46 AM

I'm sure that's why I do it too. Must have learned it from Moma, she made all my clothes.

Originally Posted by Christine27 (Post 5067438)
Habits die hard. I grew up wrapping the thread so that's what I still do. No shame about it since it just works better for me.

majormom 03-17-2012 07:19 AM

Nope, I don't share your shame. I thread the thread through the tiny hole and then hold the end until it has wound some, stop the machine, cut the thread close to the bobbin and then let 'er rip!!!! Why not do it right - it's not as if you can walk away and do something else while the thing is winding - you still have to sit there and wait :-)

GrannieAnnie 03-17-2012 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5067502)
I thread the hole, hold on to the thread until it has several winds, and snip the tail close to the surface. I think this comes from taking Home Ec classes with a teacher (sew police) standing over you.

Necessity gets my praise--------------never had a home ec class in my life and Mom's sewing machine was the old "bullet" style bobbin. Simply speaking, I have to hold on to the thread thru the hole or I have a mess.

catmcclure 03-17-2012 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt (Post 5067197)
I used to pull the thread thru the little hole but not anymore. One time I did not get that leader thread cut close to the bobbin and it became tangled in the bobbin case. Since having to clean up that mess, I now wrap it around the bobbin and then wind. So, yes I share your shame.

I always put it through the hole too; but I use my scissors to cut the thread back to the bobbin - while the bobbin is filling, I just hold the thread up and take the tip of my scissors and lay it on top of the bobbin while it's turning. Cuts perfectly. Just an ingrained habit now.

GrannieAnnie 03-17-2012 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by catmcclure (Post 5067802)
I always put it through the hole too; but I use my scissors to cut the thread back to the bobbin - while the bobbin is filling, I just hold the thread up and take the tip of my scissors and lay it on top of the bobbin while it's turning. Cuts perfectly. Just an ingrained habit now.

That's how I clip the thread, too. And I've never had a taggy cause any trouble----------it's too short.

Scissor Queen 03-17-2012 09:29 AM

My Pfaff bobbins don't have a hole. You just wrap them several times. The Janome bobbins have a hole and if you don't put the thread thru the hole they won't wind because of how fast it winds. Do what works best with the bobbins on your machine and don't worry about it.

Dar-midlife 03-17-2012 09:39 AM

My Viking bobbins don't have a hole either! Don't carry shame for the way you wind a bobbin!!!! As long as it works........

BellaBoo 03-17-2012 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by majormom (Post 5067591)
Why not do it right - it's not as if you can walk away and do something else while the thing is winding - you still have to sit there and wait :-)

I have never seen a machine tech or repairman put thread through the hole on any bobbin to wind. Never seen a machine dealer do it either.