Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bolts of Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bolts-fabric-t124500.html)

stephaniequeen 05-20-2011 01:35 PM

For those who have a library of bolted fabrics: How does one start such a collection? Do you collect by color, themes, etc.? Do you buy the entire bolt? Where do you get the cardboard to roll the fabric on to if you don't buy the entire bolt? Is it more expensive to buy in bulk than to buy exactly what you need for one quilt? Wouln't it be hard to have such a collection when you have limited space?

fabric_fancy 05-20-2011 01:52 PM

i buy bolts.

i never buy theme or trendy fabrics by the bolt because i just don't go through that much of those types of fabrics.

i typically buy batiks by the bolt and flannel for charity baby quilts.

then i buy numerous prepared for dye (PFD) bolts, i dye all my own blenders and screen print much of my own fabric. i also dye all my backing fabric.

i buy PFD in 44, 60, and 120 width. right now i have 150+ yards of PFD in the house and it will last me till the end of the year.

i get empty bolt boards from the LQS - they are more then happy to give them away.

i have a very large walk in closet in my room so its not a problem for me to store bolts of fabric, batting, fusible webb.

i tend to buy by the bolt for most things because its cheaper.

stephaniequeen 05-20-2011 01:56 PM

What are PFD's?

bjnicholson 05-20-2011 01:57 PM

I got a boat load of empty bolts from JoAnn's. They're happy to give rid of them. They only through them away anyways. My son cut them in half for me. I fold the fabric the long way and put it on the boards. There's a tute on here somewhere.

CarrieAnne 05-20-2011 01:58 PM

prepared for dyes? I think!

EskapetheNorm 05-20-2011 02:03 PM

As I have increased my quilting time lately, there are certain fabrics that I use a lot of. What that will be for you will be different. White-on-white, gray, tan patterns ... whatever your nuetral of choice is. I also favor bright primary & secondary colors, so I like to have batiks & patterns of the true colors around when the creativity hits.

luvTooQuilt 05-20-2011 02:30 PM

I have my own quilting room so I have some space but as always i have the syndrome: 'give an inch want a mile'.. I have a room but want a Studio.. lol.. ... I have my bolts in the walk in closet, a few on the book case, & konas are under one of my cutting tables.. I buy what I like, what I think Ill use but stay away from themes ( unless its an awesome price of $1/yd) I do look for ones that I can also use as backings too..

fabric_fancy 05-20-2011 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
prepared for dyes? I think!

correct.

its a white fabric without any chemicals leaving it a blank state and ready for the dyeing process.

i dye most of my own fabric and i also do screen printing on fabrics.