Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Book suggestions for a beginner? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/book-suggestions-beginner-t8682.html)

barnbum 07-01-2008 04:09 PM

A dear friend of mine received a gift card to Barnes and Noble and she wants to get a first book on quilting.

What would you suggest she get?

I thought Quilter's Complete Guide would be good, but it's out of stock.

Ideas?

I'm going to give her the link to this page--her name is Angie.

Hi Angie! :D

sewnsewer2 07-01-2008 04:38 PM

The quilters Ultimate visual guide is a fantastic book! I just saw it at Barnes & Noble the other day.

I got mine last year and have learned a lot from it!

mgshaw 07-01-2008 07:34 PM

How new is she to quilting? Does she need to learn terms and techniques or just easy blocks for a beginner?
I looked at the B & N site, 1032 quilting books!! I looked thru the first 300 but gave up after that :lol:

retrogirl02 07-01-2008 07:44 PM

Great Question, barnbum....Love the Egg Money Quilts but first bought Your Guide to Quilting from JoAnns, Back to the Basics by Pat Yamin, and a couple of books with lots of blocks to choose from (one is 500 and the other is 101 I think).You can NEVER have enough books!! :D
HI ANGIE!

Lucky Patsy's 07-01-2008 10:10 PM

I like QUILTS! QUILTS!! QUILTS!!! -The Complete Guide To Quiltmaking- by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes and also The Essential Guide to Practically Perfect Patchwork - Everything You Need to Know to Make Your First Quilt by Michele Morrow Harer. This last I have as one section of "The Big Book of Quilting"

Elly 07-01-2008 10:21 PM

I just recieved Better Homes and Gardens
Complete Guide to Quilting
and I think its neat ! Its set up like their cook books. I don't know if you can purchase it in bookstores yet though.

Elly 07-01-2008 10:34 PM

Barnbum,
Please check your PM 's. Thanks :lol:

quiltwoman 07-02-2008 04:35 AM

My first book was Quilts!Quilts! Quilts. There are a few editions of it. MIght be able to find a good one on-line used for a few dollars.

I also bought a BHG Magazine w/ 200 quilt blocks. It has them organized by type w/ simple instructions included. So far, this has been a wonderful guide.

HTH,

Roben 07-02-2008 06:23 AM

I had a difficult time rotary cutting accurately, and happened on the book Rotary Magic by Nancy Johnson-Srebro. It's available on several websites, including Barnes & Noble and Amazon (less expensive on Amazon.) It covers the basics of cutting, piecing, pressing and finishing plus has 12 projects - all written in an easily understandable and cute way. I have the Fons & Porter book, but it was too much information for me as a beginner (its definitely one for the library, tho!)

Rose Marie 07-02-2008 08:31 AM

Watch lots of videos. QnnTV is really good but costs $24 a yr.
It is worth it for a beginner. It has all the experts and every show they make. Except Simply Quilts.
QuiltersTV is free but dosnt have the selection that QNNTV has.