Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Borders or No Borders (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/borders-no-borders-t226258.html)

Podunk Princess 07-21-2013 04:09 PM

Borders or No Borders

2 Attachment(s)
I need your expert input/advice regarding borders for this quilt top I'm working on. The pattern calls for a narrow (1-inch) border and then a wider (6-inch) border. The pattern photo shows a striped fabric for the narrow border and a large/busy floral for the wider border.

I have 1/2 yard of the dark blue fabric left over but only small scraps of the others. Originally I bought this fabric for another quilt pattern but it has been in my to-do pile for so long that I no longer liked the pattern (that tells you how many years it sat around...LOL). I'm tempted to use the dark blue fabric for the narrow border but wonder if it will mess up the design where it connects to the same color in the main center design. I've also thought about using a plaid fabric for the 6-inch border.

If this was your quilt, what would you do? The second photo attached is a close up of the fabrics if that helps. Any and all suggestions/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

alikat110 07-21-2013 04:36 PM

I would do a thin border with one of the darker colors to stop the motion of the quilt. Then, a wider final border with a graphic print that Incorporates many of the colors.

alikat110 07-21-2013 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by alikat110 (Post 6189144)
I would do a thin border with one of the darker colors to stop the motion of the qut. Then, a wider final border with a graphic print that Incorporates many of the colors.

And avoid florals.

The quilt is beautiful.....

nativetexan 07-21-2013 04:38 PM

if you like a skinny inner blue border, go for it. I know what you mean about it touching some blocks but really in the big scheme of things, it doesn't matter. I do like striped binding sometimes. Great quilt!!

DebraK 07-21-2013 05:19 PM

This sort of pattern would look great with a thin border or just binding. I love it!

ArtsyOne 07-21-2013 05:44 PM

Perhaps a narrow border of a cream fabric and then the dark blue narrow border would give you the separation you want. I also would avoid a floral on your wide border.

TexasSunshine 07-21-2013 05:52 PM

I agree with ArtsyOne, lovely quilt.

dunster 07-21-2013 05:57 PM

I really don't think that every quilt needs a border. Yours would be lovely with - or without. I would base the decision on whether you want the quilt to be bigger or not.

omaluvs2quilt 07-21-2013 06:19 PM

I think your quilt is perfect as is too... unless of course, you need it to be bigger. I would avoid floral also, I think it would spoil the geometric appearance. Do you possibly have a blue similar, but maybe just a bit darker for the binding? If not, I think I like your idea of using the blue you have anyway.

if you have lots of scraps left, maybe you could do a smallish light border and then another border with rectangles separated by your light fabric, then another small light border and your binding.

QuiltnNan 07-22-2013 04:23 AM

i vote for no borders