Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bow Tucks question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bow-tucks-question-t185255.html)

susie-susie-susie 09-17-2012 06:56 AM

I've made 2 for myself, and had trouble with the directions both times. I think my brain works differently from everyone else's. I did get them both together, and had trouble with the fusible--it didn't want to stick. Quilting solves that problem. I've gotten lots of compliments when I carry them though and have 2 more in the works.
Sue

Pat625 09-17-2012 07:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't use the fusible...hated working with it...quilt myself, using leftover cut off batting from quilts. The directions are not that clear, and pictures would have been appreciated!! I love the purses tho and make quite a few. These are 2 of the 4 I made for orders this weekend![ATTACH=CONFIG]363431[/ATTACH]

iwillquilt 09-17-2012 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by chips88 (Post 5506979)
i just orderd my bow tucks pattern and should get it in a few days. just wondering what type of fabric to use and hope it is an easy to do pattern. and if i mess up can i take the pattern pieces and make extras? before i start

The directions can be confusing the first time you make it. There is a tute on QB that walks you through it and answers the questions I had. After that I had no problem reading the pattern. Or my memory decided to work for that one. Good luck! I love all the bow tucks I have made.

MommaDorian 09-17-2012 08:36 AM

I've made tons of them. After I finished my first one, I swore I wouldn't make anymore. It was a challenge. I got better with each one. Now I can do it without using the directions. I have only quilted a few of mine.

Wanabee Quiltin 09-17-2012 09:15 AM

I always quilt mine, but I,, too noticed that others don't. I quilt it depending on the fabric. One fabric I quilted it in diagonal lines, another a stipple, some just wandering lines. I also use the magnetic buttons instead of sewing the button and flap. I saw someone sewed charms on the ties and that is pretty, I think I will do that next. I love making purses, I do not just make bow tucks, I get the patterns from McCalls and Simplicity when Joann's and Hobby Lobby have them for 99 cents. I always add the inside pockets, measuring my cell phone and tissues for size. Women love the purses and I love making them.....a win win for all.

Sandygirl 09-17-2012 02:17 PM

Use lots of steam to get that fusible to adhere. I don't like to quilt.
Sandy

scrapngmom 09-17-2012 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by chips88 (Post 5506979)
i just orderd my bow tucks pattern and should get it in a few days. just wondering what type of fabric to use and hope it is an easy to do pattern. and if i mess up can i take the pattern pieces and make extras? before i start

I just made my first bow tucks. I asked my LQS to do a workshop on it for me because I sometimes have a hard time reading patterns, I learn better by watching than reading. Any way, in answer to your question, there are no pattern pieces included--just dimensions for you to cut the material. So, yes if you mess up you can make extras.

Briarberry 09-17-2012 05:06 PM

I love the bow tucks and have made several. I have had complete strangers ask me where I got mine and they are amazed that I made them. I quilt mine because I like the look of them quilted. I also make the handles longer just because I like to sling them over my shoulder. I hand stitch the opening and put fabric covered heavy cardboard in the bottom. Sometimes I made a fabric pocket or I just hot glue a piece of fabric to the cardboard. I am going to make several as Christmas gifts this year for family.