Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bow Tucks question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bow-tucks-question-t185255.html)

Buckeye Rose 04-06-2012 01:55 PM

Bow Tucks question

I've been bitten by the bow tucks bug, having made 5 in the last couple weeks. I finally decided to look here for tips/pics to see if there is anything new/interesting. What I saw in the pics was no quilting. Is little or no quilting the norm for these bags? To me, the quilting is what sets it apart from other bags. I also wonder what all of you do with the opening in the bottom of the lining? Do you sew it closed? Leave it open? I found no mention of how to deal with it in the instructions. I have been sewing it shut and laying a covered board/stiffener on top.

sylvia77 04-06-2012 04:53 PM

I used a lot of quilting on mine, love the texture it gives it.

joysewer 04-06-2012 04:54 PM

Sometimes I quilt mine and sometimes I don't. For the bottom opening, I used to hand sew them closed but read about sewing it with machine on another pattern so I do that now....much quicker and no one sees inside the purse.

ksdot417 04-06-2012 07:08 PM

I quilt mine. I think they hold up better when they're quilted. I also made a key fob to go in the outside pocket with a hook on it for the keys. Now I know where my keys are and I don't have to look for them.

LyndaOH 04-06-2012 07:45 PM

I usually quilt mine, either with a curly meander or with a diagonal grid. I always sew the bottom lining seam on the machine. I usually use a magnetic snap for the closure and lengthen the handles several inches.

Buckeye Rose 04-07-2012 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH (Post 5122530)
I usually quilt mine, either with a curly meander or with a diagonal grid. I always sew the bottom lining seam on the machine. I usually use a magnetic snap for the closure and lengthen the handles several inches.

good ideas for both longer handles and the magnetic closure! I quilt mine on a diagonal grid, or on a vertical line for stripes. Thanks for all the great ideas!

hperttula123 04-07-2012 04:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I quilt mine. I started leaving off the outside pocket(I don't use it anyways). I think the quilting is the best part of the whole bag. I am adding two pics...sorry the quilting doesn't show up too much. I've made these for most of my family and they all love them. The blue one went to my grandma and she gets so many compliments on it.

JuneBillie 04-07-2012 06:04 PM

I am getting ready to cut out my second bow tuck bag. The first one I didn't quilt, but this one is going to be quilted. Even though my first one is not quilted, it has been through everything, including at times holding a lot of weight, and has done wonderfully. I use my front pocket to keep a pack of kleenex in.

lwests 04-07-2012 06:22 PM

I have been wanting to try the Bow Tucks bag. Is there a place on this site to get the pattern?

SWEETPEACHES 04-07-2012 06:29 PM

I haven't made the bow tucks, but have made lots of charm pack totes and variations of them. I sew the bottom of the lining closed by machine. Since I'm making mine with charm packs, I usually stitch in the ditch. I also make my straps different lengths. and pockets, lots of pockets. You can see mine in my signature.