Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bow Tucks Tote- Stuck on Step 1-need help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bow-tucks-tote-stuck-step-1-need-help-t48445.html)

Joeysnana 06-05-2010 06:35 AM

I am trying to understand the directions for Penny Sturges's Bow Tucks Tote and am lost on the first step. This does not bode well for me. My problem: "Sew the front pocket piece to the front pocket piece lining along the 8 1/2 " length." Do I sew the pieces right side together or wrong side together? I have never sewn a purse/tote before and am determined to do so today. Please help. TIA

BKinCO 06-05-2010 06:39 AM

Are you talking about the pocket that's on the exterior front?

If so: You line up the pocket upside down, right side of purse outside, inside of pocket outside...then sew along the seam that will become the bottom of the pocket. You're going to sew along this seam, then flip the pocket up , iron and sew down the two side seams. Does that help at all???

BKinCO 06-05-2010 06:41 AM

WAIT~ I'm a step ahead of you............

What they want you to do is line up the inside and outside of the pocket and put them right sides together so that the long sides match up on one end (you'll have a smaller rectangle sitting on top of a larger rectangle.) Sew along the LONG side of the rectangle....then, open it up and fold it together so the right sides are out and you have one big rectangle (the front will have a small border of the inside of the pocket.)

Are you just as confused now?? THEN you can read the other directions I Sent above when you get ready to put the pocket on :)

Joeysnana 06-05-2010 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by BKinCO
Are you talking about the pocket that's on the exterior front?

If so: You line up the pocket upside down, right side of purse outside, inside of pocket outside...then sew along the seam that will become the bottom of the pocket. You're going to sew along this seam, then flip the pocket up , iron and sew down the two side seams. Does that help at all???

Yes, I'm talking about the front pocket on the exterior. So, I sew the 2 pieces right sides together?

Joeysnana 06-05-2010 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by BKinCO
WAIT~ I'm a step ahead of you............

What they want you to do is line up the inside and outside of the pocket and put them right sides together so that the long sides match up on one end (you'll have a smaller rectangle sitting on top of a larger rectangle.) Sew along the LONG side of the rectangle....then, open it up and fold it together so the right sides are out and you have one big rectangle (the front will have a small border of the inside of the pocket.)

Are you just as confused now?? THEN you can read the other directions I Sent above when you get ready to put the pocket on :)

Okay, I can visualize it now. I think, hopefully, I've got it.
Thanks!

kathy 06-05-2010 07:24 AM

after you sew the top edge together you slide the small one down so the bottoms are even and sew the 2 sides before you turn it rightside out

belmer 06-05-2010 08:15 AM

Boy am I glad someone could answer this one. Because the exact same thing happened to me. and I was so frustrated that I put it aside and thought maybe it will be easier to do when I'm not so tired, that was 2 weeks ago....Thankyou "Joeysnana" For asking the question that I was tooooo chicken to ask.

belmer 06-05-2010 08:18 AM

And.... Thankyou to BKinCo also for sharing her Ideas with us.

Dingle 06-05-2010 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
after you sew the top edge together you slide the small one down so the bottoms are even and sew the 2 sides before you turn it rightside out

Before you sew down the sides you need to put the fusible fleece on first. :wink:

Joeysnana 06-05-2010 09:12 AM

Thank you so much, guys. You have made my day with your generosity and helpfulness!