Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Brand new quilter needing elementary advice! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/brand-new-quilter-needing-elementary-advice-t192169.html)

betsyjohnson 06-18-2012 09:12 PM

Brand new quilter needing elementary advice!

Hi everyone- I just started quilting recently. I used to sew with my mom when I was a kid, but only clothing. I have a quilt picked out as my first quilt that I'm going to make, and I already have all the fabric for it... But I'm already stuck. I know this seems like a very elementary question, but I just need some good tips. I need to cut out 112 pieces of my white fabric for the background, but I can't figure out the best way to cut my fabric! I mean, I can cut 112 pieces individually, but that sounds awful! I can't figure out the best way to fold my fabric to minimize cutting time. I just feel like every time I fold my fabric I'm going to cut it wrong!
Any advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)

PurplePassion 06-18-2012 09:22 PM

Do you have a rotary cutter and mat? What pattern are you making ? that would make it easier to explain. I would not cut all the background pieces at once , just in case a mistake is made in figuring. I usually cut enough for a block or a row, and sew together ; to make sure everything is right. Good luck on your first project.

betsyjohnson 06-18-2012 09:31 PM

Yes, I do have a rotary cutter and a mat, and two different sized rulers. This is the pattern I'm making:http://www.freshlemonsquilts.com/?p=1016
It seems like it shouldn't be too bad for a beginner!
Thank you for the advice! Cutting 112 pieces in a row seemed so overwhelming! Just cutting enough for one row seems like a much better Idea!

trif 06-18-2012 09:59 PM

When I started quilting, I would only cut two folds of fabric at a time, however with a good rotary blade four is ok. Fold your fabric in half, line it up on the cutting mat, I cut a small strip off to even it out if needed, then cut 6.5 inches (if I read pattern right) turn fabric,then cut 3.5. If folded in half, each piece yields two, it's still 51 cuts to make. Or fold fabric into four then just go for it. I hope this helps.

Also, welcome to quilting :-)

betsyjohnson 06-18-2012 10:05 PM

Thank you so much! I think I understand what you're getting at. Folding the fabric just makes me feel like I'm going to make a snowflake out of my fabric, ha! You're right, I really should just go for it. Much appreciated!
Also, thanks for the welcome! :-)

twoxover 06-19-2012 02:51 AM

hi Betsyjohnson-

I'm betsey Karl! be brave and go cut! I also want to thank you for the link to the quilt--i have been looking for a rainbow baby quilt to make, and thanks to you, i found it!

Betsey

QuiltnLady1 06-19-2012 02:56 AM

Welcome Betsy!! That's a great looking pattern you selected. I would probably cut one color at a time (like all the yellow squares). Since you need 2 of the white rectangles per block, that would keep you from having to cut all those rectangles at once. Another way to do it is to cut a 6.5" strip like Trif said, and cut all the 3.5" strips you can from that one strip and make a set of blocks, then cut another strip and make another set of blocks.

I do my cutting in a bit of an assembly line. For a color, I would cut all the 6.5" strips/blocks for one color block and then cut the the 3.5" size. The reason is I would place a piece of blue painters tape down the length of the ruler to mark the 6.5" (I have a ruler that is 8" wide) or 3.5" width (I indicate the edge of the tape to use as a guide with an arrow since I have been known to let my mind wander when cutting). That way you can see where to line up the cut edge easily (and nothing is as frustrating as cutting the wrong width and messing up a strip of fabric).

Have fun -- can't wait to see how you do!

joyce888 06-19-2012 03:17 AM

Welcome from Canton, GA. Love the pattern, can't wait to see your quilt - good luck!

ArtsyOne 06-19-2012 03:27 AM

What a lovely pattern! You can strip-piece these as QuiltnLady describes. It will be so much easier and far less boring for you.

Daylesewblessed 06-19-2012 03:46 AM

When I have a big project, I usually cut as I go. I cut a batch of blocks and start sewing. Then if everything is turning out ok, I move forward, often continuing the practice of cutting in batches.

I would definitely recommend washing the fabric before starting. Especially with a white background, any color bleeding wouldn't be fun to discover after the quilt is finished.

Enjoy!

Dayle