Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Broken Quilt...Ideas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/broken-quilt-ideas-t206511.html)

KalamaQuilts 11-20-2012 08:05 AM

Broken Quilt...Ideas?

4 Attachment(s)
I made this quilt years ago for my little sister. Who happened to have a fabric eating dog at some point :)
I'm looking for bright ideas for a fix. I'm not looking for heirloom restoration, I only have one of the fabrics still in my stash.

I used warm and natural batting so the quilt is stable.
It is a double sided quilt, the other side is pink and teal and sage.

I know many heads have to be better than mine alone, thanks so much!

cjsews 11-20-2012 08:08 AM

All I can say is WOW - that was one hungry dog.

DOTTYMO 11-20-2012 08:13 AM

How about photocopying the material and make another block. Or photocopy same block elsewhere and replace as whole. Just an idea.

SouthPStitches 11-20-2012 08:17 AM

I wouldn't know where to start. It's so beautiful and intricate. If the blocks weren't set on point, I'd suggest cutting it down for a lap and cover the smaller missing chunks with applique. Did all the cotton manage to pass through the dog's intestines? I'm sorry, this must be heart breaking for you.

fayzer 11-20-2012 08:17 AM

That quilt is so beautiful, that I would be sick. Maybe people on this board have bits and pieces of the fabric you need. I think I have a FQ of the gold. If not exact, it is close. I would send it to you if you like. I would be tempted to applique a dog shape on the large hole!

feline fanatic 11-20-2012 08:24 AM

Oh no, how absolutely heartbreaking for both you and your sister (assuming of course your sister was quiltworthy and really cared about it in the first place). If this quilt were mine I would be furious with my dog if it had ruined such a beautiful quilt as this and she would immediatly be relegated back to crate training when I was not around to keep an eye on her and at night. And belive me I love my dog dearly but destroying such a beautiful quilt would definitely lose her all her free house roaming priviledges.

Is an entire corner missing? I can't think of any fix other than to cut off the bottom row and a half of blocks and bottom border where the entire corner looks to be missing. You could then unpick the quilting and use the fabric from the cut off borders that is still intact to remake the border and repair the bit at the top. You then would have portions of undamaged blocks that you could applique right over the damaged ones.

If you want to maintain the size, I am afraid any fix you do will look like repair patches, especially the entire missing corner, even if you could somewhat match the fabrics. You could probably find a nice compliment to applique something over the center areas but that missing corner where you had mitered the border print... There is not much you can do.

Peckish 11-20-2012 08:36 AM

Wow. My thinking - turn the quilt into a square quilt. Remove that lower part with the missing corner and huge hole, and use the extra fabrics from that section to repair/patch the other holes.

Good luck!! I live in Vancouver and I'd come help you, but we've never met....

KalamaQuilts 11-20-2012 08:38 AM

When she told me about it I thought easy peasy, cut it down and make a couch throw, but because the damage is on both sides it would be far too narrow to be of use.

No, I wasn't heartbroken. And she was worth it. A dog shaped applique makes me laugh, thanks!
thanks to all for your thoughts!

feline, only where the pink stickynotes is where the damage is.
That bit in the lower corner is the quilt I just finished quilting yesterday. Nice spot though, you are right, it looks like even worse damage ;)

barking-rabbit 11-20-2012 08:48 AM

The edge I would trim and bind as is, oddly shaped. The large one, a dog shape appliqué as a silhouette. Photo copy on a good copier isn't a bad idea. A label appliqué telling the story in a color that blended.
The things we endure for our pets. Now I understand better why my mil asked that my kids sun bonnet sue quilts not be used, because of my cats. They are hand quilted. I wish she had made wall hanging size.

SHELTIE'SMAMA 11-20-2012 09:07 AM

If you go for the dog shape applique how about in a blending color and a la quilt labels the info on how the hole/applique got there. The smaller holes might be covered with a blending dog bone shaped bone.