Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Brother Embroidery and Sewing Machine with USB Port HE-240 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/brother-embroidery-sewing-machine-usb-port-he-240-a-t176622.html)

dustyadixon 01-22-2012 10:09 PM

Brother Embroidery and Sewing Machine with USB Port HE-240

Is this a good sewing machine for quilting? I think it sounds to good to be true that there could be a good machine that works for both embroidery and quilting. I need a good reliable quilting machine, but would love to have embroidery as well if possible. This machine is in my price range and has really good reviews as a "sewing machine" and "embroidery" machine, but nobody mentions quilting. What makes a "good" quilting machine? TIA, Dusty

Rose Marie 01-23-2012 06:35 AM

Emboidery machines should be researched before purchase.
You would be better off to buy a machine for quilting and another one for embroidery.
A basic cheap Brother for quilting.
There was a blog about embroidery machines becoming out dated for patterns, wish I had bookmarked it.
Embroidery takes a toll on a machine so you would want one that is well made and with a large area for a hoop. These are expensive.
For quilting you want the needle down function.
I dont have an embroidery machine so cant tell you what to buy but would want a large hoop area.

LindaR 01-23-2012 06:48 AM

I have 2 brother embroidery machines 270D and 8500 P I don't FMQ on either of them but they are very reliable...bought the 8500 used and use 90% emboridery only...

ambquilter 01-23-2012 07:09 AM

I have a Babylock that does embroidery and sew but I perfer to have one set up for embroidery and another machine for sewing. That way I am not always changing the needle and foot to switch back and forth.

Hope this helps,
Angie

sammie 01-23-2012 07:09 AM

I have a babylock. I quilt on mine... I love the long throat.... I haven't use the embroidery very much... still new to that part..... I know you do pay or all the extra... I love the fact that I can make my own labels

TeresaH 01-23-2012 09:01 AM

I have the HE 240, and like it for its intended purpose -- sewing and embroidery. I am a fairly new quilter and did my first several quilts on it, but the tiny harp made it pretty frustrating. I recently added the Brother PQ 1500s for quilting, and really love the extra space. It's only straight stitch so I like having both.

DebbyT 01-23-2012 10:05 AM

The HE 240 is sold through HSN and has accessories (cording ft, narrow hem ft, piecing ft, and accessory bag) inflating the price. The SE 400 is the same machine and available for about $130 less on-line with sites such as Amazon and Walmart. I have the SE-350. This machine is the same except it dosn't have the USB connection. I got it just before the SE-400 was available. - It runs like a dream. Embriodery is only 4"x4". and a short throat. Quilting large quilts will be a challenge. -- Like TeresaH, I also have the Brother PQ 1500s for quilting, straight stitch only. A bit pricey but my sister got PQ 1500s with a GQM frame for $400, listed on Craigs list. -- Brother is a good machine. the one you mention will do the job with a challenge if trying to quilt a large quilt.

AnotherMadQuilter 01-23-2012 10:38 AM

I have the Singer Futura which does both sewing and embroidery. Have had it for 3 years or so and use both functions frequently. It can use most designs out there so isn't setup to only use it's own. Works nice for both. Don't know anything about the current Brother models but at the time of my purchases they were much more proprietary regarding designs they could use than my Singer was.

dustyadixon 01-23-2012 03:31 PM

Thanks y'all! I got a Brother innov-is 40 instead. I onlu paid $219 for it, so I am happy about the purchase. Your feedback was important to my purchase. :)