Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Brother PQ 1500s - does anyone have this machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/brother-pq-1500s-does-anyone-have-machine-t207705.html)

Peckish 12-06-2012 11:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5701227)
Will someone explain to me what pin feed actually is, just curious

A pin feed is a little pin that sticks up from the feed dogs and helps with difficult-to-sew fabrics, such as velvet, suede, etc. My manual says it's good for quilting but I've never used it for that. The pin moves up and down with the feed dogs.
Here's a pic of it sticking up at the back of the feed dogs:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]380508[/ATTACH]

Here's what it looks like out of the machine. The needle in front of it is just for a sense of scale.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]380509[/ATTACH]

nygal 12-06-2012 11:16 AM

My frame is by Ken Lund. He has sold a lot of them. In the picture I posted above it shows the wheels that came with it from the kit. But my dh ended up changing them to four coaster roller wheels. That way I was able to do swirls much easier. For under $200.00 I was glad to be able to see what it was all about. But in all honesty the space that was available to actually quilt in height wise at a time was not very much and I found I was rolling and unrolling the fabrics more than actually quilting.

When the mood hits I want to get my machine back out and give FMQ a try with it.

Here is Ken demonstrating his frame..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F24UUQdBW5I

BellaBoo 12-06-2012 11:18 AM

I use the pin feed with regular piecing. My fabric pieces sew perfectly even.

patchsamkim 12-06-2012 11:40 AM

I have a PQ1500 Brother machine also and love it...my biggest problem is that I don't really have the time to use it ...it is great for both piecing and for quilting...I mostly use it for quilting though as my other machine is a Bernina, and I do have the 1/4" foot with guide for that machine, and sometimes don't want to be going so fast when piecing...can get a bit ahead of myself with the Brother.

madamepurl 12-06-2012 01:19 PM

I love this machine. It does love the oil, but that's not an issue at all. I just giver her a sip every now and again. I find it does nearly perfect piecing and can take heavy seams without an issue. I would never part with her. She's my star.

sewplease 12-06-2012 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by nygal (Post 5702329)
My frame is by Ken Lund. He has sold a lot of them.

Thanks so much! Laura

nonnie60 12-06-2012 08:13 PM

I love all the comments because I am purchasing one to go on a quilting frame. I own 2 other Brother's that I love, but this is my first quilting designated machine and frame. I'm very excited!!!!! I know you'll love it. You should be able to contact Brother and get what ever you need.

jitkaau 12-07-2012 03:39 AM

I've got this machine. It makes a very nice stitch when quilting and as far as I know it does not have a quarter inch foot with a guide. The one it has is very good and it is extremely fast and accurate. There is also a felting attachment that you can buy for this machine. It comes with a plate that you attach at the side where the bobbin goes. The metal bobbins are the ones to use.
Juki made the machines for Brother, and you will find the same machine in Baby Lock as well as Juki brands. Perhaps you could find other parts, that will fit , from those brands?
I use it on my quilting frame and it is quite adequate - just doesn't have the reach of a long arm.

knitsew 12-07-2012 03:50 AM

It is a wonderful machine. I used mine mainly on a frame. It has a bluebook value as a used machine of $500 so put the extra in your piggy bank! You really got a great deal.

ghquilter53 12-07-2012 04:08 AM

Love my Brother PQ 1500. I use my mine for all my quilting because it has a little longer arm. The bobbins are metal and I just have the ones that came with the machine. Not sure if it has a 1/4 inch foot...I haven't used it for piecing in
years.