Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Brother SQ 9000 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/brother-sq-9000-a-t84699.html)

matraina 12-23-2010 06:41 AM

O.K., I finally had a little time yesterday to play with my new toy. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to use the automatic needle threader. I became so frustrated, I ended up threading the needle by hand. I kept looking at the video, the illustrations, and still couldn't do it, unless by accident.

Also, I broke two needles doing SID at seam intersections. I ended up having to turn the speed to the lowest. That's a pain in the neck, since these intersections are 3-4" apart and quilt is about 50 x 50. Do any of you who have this machine have this problem.

Can you buy needles and bobbins at Wal*Mart, which is where I bought the machine, or do you have to go to a dealer?

Thanks, everyone.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 12-23-2010 07:06 AM

I have a Brother XL2600 and have never been able to use the automatic needle threader either. Maybe it's a Brother issue.

sharon b 12-23-2010 07:24 AM

I buy my bobbins from Walmart the ones from Brother . The needles I get from Joanns when they are 50% off

Don't know what needle threader you have- but with mine I couldn't figure it out and then one day the lightbulb went on and it has been smooth sailing since - BUT I have found that it doesn't work with all needles -

crochetetc 12-23-2010 07:52 AM

I upgraded my machine a few years ago from an older brother to a newer one. If you can tell me what size bobbins you use, you are welcome to the packages of unopened ones I have tucked away if they fit. I might even have some new packages of needles.

Just let me know..

pocoellie 12-23-2010 07:59 AM

I can't help you with your problem, but I don't even use my needle threader, by the time I pull the threader down and do the thread, I can already have it threaded by the old fashioned way. LOL

WANNABEE 12-23-2010 08:04 AM

I also couldn't figure out the needle threader. You can buy the bobbins and needles anywhere - just check the bobbin size in the book.

quilter711 12-23-2010 08:21 AM

I have the Brother SE-350. The pressure foot needs to be down when using the needle threader. The threader will hit the pressure foot if it is not down. My instruction booklet that came with the machine has picture of the bobbin that needs to be used in my machine. Please check the manual for yours. Let us know if you get the threader to work. Learning a new machine definitely has a learning curve.
Nancy
Quilter711

marilynr 12-23-2010 08:27 AM

I do not have a Brother machine, but when I first got my Babylock could not figure out how to thread it either at first. It just took placing the thread behind a tiny little
"outcropping" piece just in front of the needle, before
looping it through the last area to the left where I cut the thread. Probably makes no sense, right, but it was just a
tiny thing I was missing & once I "got it" it was simple.
Good luck.

I had taken it back to the dealer 2x & they never bothered to show me EXACTLY how to do it, they would just auto-thread it to show me that it worked. LOL

matraina 12-23-2010 11:25 AM

Sharon, these are the needles that came with the machine, so I assume they should work. However, I only have one left now, so will have to get out to get some.

matraina 12-23-2010 11:26 AM

Thanks, Sharon. What brand are the needles?