Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bucket of Strips Quilt Blocks Done - Now What? Help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bucket-strips-quilt-blocks-done-now-what-help-t178133.html)

Krystyna 02-04-2012 09:59 AM

Bucket of Strips Quilt Blocks Done - Now What? Help!

6 Attachment(s)
I started out with a bucket of strips from a fabric designers tag sale.
All my strips are now sewn into HST squares with black.

Now what?
I first thought I'd do a sunlight and shadows with blue toned squares offset going into red at the bottom - eight across, then seven, etc.
But then I have all these other ones left over.
Put them in the middle?
Or should I do sets of four squares and just move them around?
OR ... pinwheels?
And then there is the matter of quilting, which I wanted to do on my embroidery machine ... don't really want borders as you'd get with fun and done ... *sigh*
Now I know why quilters plan FIRST!
Help!
Here they are. The colors are off in my photos - the blues and reds are deep and rich.

Scissor Queen 02-04-2012 10:10 AM

Those are cool blocks. There are probably at least a couple of dozen different ways to set them!! I'd put them on a design wall and just play with different arrangements for a week or two!

AnnieH 02-04-2012 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 4942047)
Those are cool blocks. There are probably at least a couple of dozen different ways to set them!! I'd put them on a design wall and just play with different arrangements for a week or two!

Play play play. They're really gorgeous blocks.
Annie

lfstamper 02-04-2012 10:24 AM

Wow very nice colors. Put on the design board and play!

grammy Dwynn 02-04-2012 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 4942047)

Yes, you could just play and play with the design for EVER. IMHO, I would not try to match the 'colors', I would do a free for all. Maybe leaning toward pinwheels.

Tink's Mom 02-04-2012 10:35 AM

I can't wait to see how you arrange them...they are just lovely...

thepolyparrot 02-04-2012 10:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I LOVE all those colors - how beautiful this is going to be!

There are so many ways to lay this out - here are some EQ "serendipity" arrangements - the pdf has larger images of all eight of these. I really like the "braided" look - the last one - but the streak of lighting is really pretty, too. Of course, with fabrics as prettty as you have there, anything you choose is going to be lovely! :)

Krystyna 02-04-2012 11:03 AM

Oh boy! Thank you! I don't have EQ, so that is just what I needed.

Unfortunately, no room for a design wall here. And if I laid them out on my bed, I'd play so long we'd never get to sleep!

QuiltE 02-04-2012 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieH (Post 4942086)
Play play play. They're really gorgeous blocks.
Annie

ditto ditto ditto
and then Play some more!

Take a look a the dozens of different arrangements for Log Cabin quilts, as you could use them for these blocks.

Tartan 02-04-2012 01:32 PM

How about arranging them in a spiral out from the center? I think they would look cool that way if it works. You could also look up different arrangements of the log cabin blocks. It's a different block but the same principal of a dark and light diagonal block. They are very pretty!