Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Budget fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/budget-fabric-t54930.html)

cjr 07-17-2010 08:00 AM

Repurpose-rethink premade items. Yesterday on my way to the LQS i stopped at a thrift store to check out stuff. As a result of this board my mind was very open. Wallet pretty empty. Last time I visited this store they had a fabric section. I found piece I could not buy then. I also purchased valance that was 60 inches long and hemmed with an 18" hem which made width of fabric at least 36". In very good shape. I looked like it had never been used.

Here's my thoughts: I will preface this with it takes time and looking at every thing to judge if it will work. Most of the items would not.
Of course we all have heard of using men's shirts and blue jeans.
Large or any size women's blouses, kids clothes have great fabric designs and can be cut up. curtains, drapes,(lots of fabric to cut into) bedspreads & blankets could be sandwiched instead of batting same with terry cloth towels. Lots of fabric in skirts.. Pillow cases.
Las vegas has lots of hotels that are constantly changing & upgrading their linens; the old go to thrift stores or hotel liquidators.
Take your time, not everything in a thrift shop is where it is supposed to be. Many also have special sale days, like a senior day when there is an additional discount.
My lqs had exact fabric I went for.

If you budget is tight - open your mind.
Now to sew.

litacats 07-17-2010 08:09 AM

I have lots of old but good doona covers I was thinking of using as backing and flannel as the batting for summer quilts as they wouldn't be as heavy as blankets or as thick as wadding

Granna of 5 07-17-2010 08:41 AM

You have opened my mind more to rethink items, never thought of towels as batting, but would be great for baby quilts. Thanks for the info...

Ditter43 07-17-2010 08:44 AM

I look at everything made of fabric in thrift stores with a mind toward repurposing the fabric! I have gotten some neat fabrics this way! :D :D

sew_southern 07-17-2010 10:34 AM

I have also found great prints in flat bed sheets, they usually aren't worn or thin, curtain panels that are lightweight cotton and not faded. I use these a lot for backing unless it's real good with a good print. :)

CarrieAnne 07-17-2010 10:39 AM

Look for old hankies and linens too!

DebraK 07-17-2010 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Granna of 5
You have opened my mind more to rethink items, never thought of towels as batting, but would be great for baby quilts. Thanks for the info...

I use all my old bath towels as batting for pot holders, and hot pads. Works great.

ctack2 07-17-2010 11:11 AM

I recently bought a cotton duvet cover at Goodwill on 1/2 price day. Both sides can be used. So it was double the size of a queen size comforter for $1.50
Carol B

Lostn51 07-17-2010 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
I look at everything made of fabric in thrift stores with a mind toward repurposing the fabric! I have gotten some neat fabrics this way! :D :D

That is my thoughts exactly, My snails trail quilt is all from repurposed fabrics and linens. And I like the fact that I not only saved money but I also save it from going to a landfill. But mine is really a green quilt because it was made using a treadle!

Honestly with the way the economy is and the prices of fabric going up this might be the way for us to keep on going with the hobby and it brings us back to its original roots.

Billy

donnajean 07-17-2010 12:35 PM

I have not been to thrift shop for awhile. I've always just been the one donating. I will have to take time to look around soon.