Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Burp pads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/burp-pads-t77565.html)

CGail 11-20-2010 09:13 AM

I want to make some burp pads from the fabric diapers. I need some help. If I do embroidery, do I just leave the embroidery on the back showing? If I want to add ribbon on the edges, do I do it like binding or do I just sew the ribbon on the front - should I do all four sides or just the two long sides? I've seen these, but I just need help with getting started and any ideas will be helpful also. Thanks. - Cynthia

amma 11-20-2010 09:17 AM

I would use an iron on product on the back of the embroidery... so it is soft against bare shoulder/neck skin in the warmer months :wink:

Finishing the edges is a personal preference, I have seen them done in many different ways. I would just make sure that the trims are soft and very washable :D:D:D

sewgull 11-20-2010 10:20 AM

Remember the diaper will shrink.

ACD_Donna 11-20-2010 10:57 AM

I embroider the design on a separate fabric - most of the time on flannel. Then I stitch the embroider fabric down the center of the pre-made diaper on all sides. I have added trim before and after - just the length of the diaper - both ways work.

I have found these hold up better than just covering the back of the embroidery work.

Donna

CoyoteQuilts 11-20-2010 03:20 PM

I used flannel instead of diapers, doubled it for burp pads. If you did use flannel you wouldn't have the backing of the embroidery to worry about.

deedum 11-20-2010 06:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a few I just finished this week, might give you an idea or two!

CGail 11-20-2010 06:58 PM

Thanks for all the help. All of you are always so helpful.

deedum: I don't see any pictures. I would love to see the ones you just finished.

Cynthia

CGail 11-20-2010 07:01 PM

Oh, sorry. The pictures are there now. They are precious. Now, can you tell me how you got the binding on. Did you just use material and sew it on the front or does it go all the way around. Also, did you cover the back of your embroidery? You sure do an excellent job. I just wish I could do something similar to your's. Thanks for sharing. - Cynthia

deedum 11-20-2010 07:08 PM

My internet is not the best, so sorry about the slow post! Hoping to get dsl, but country is slow getting it! Anyhow, I cut a strip as long as the end of the cloth diaper, serged along the side and the end of the diaper. The upper part of the strip I did a zig zag across. Embrodiery a design or used a sew on applique. Easy peasy and quick. I just did a few today that is a bit different. Will post shortly!

deedum 11-20-2010 07:12 PM

I also used a 1 1/4 yard of baby flannel and round the corners off ( just used an old cd to do this) and serge around the receiving blanket. Recipents love them, including my dil when she had our little grandchild. I make them for a local nursery school and donate. They are a bit bigger than you get in the stores. It is so fun to hear about the little ones that get there blankets to curl up in for their naps.