Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying fabric online (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-fabric-online-t26775.html)

jbud2 10-09-2009 11:23 AM

How do you chose the fabric you want? Do you go to a fabric store, chain or LQS, and see and touch it in person, and then get online and look for it? Or do you just wing it? I need to feel the fabric!! If it doesn't feel right in my hand, I don't buy it! And the colors in person can be diferent than photos. Just curious as to how you do it! Thanks!

Rose Marie 10-09-2009 11:41 AM

I buy whatever is on sale for 3 dollars a yard at several different web sites. So far I have not been dissapointed with my purchases.
I like Quilt in a Day because they have a large selection.
Hancocks of Paducah is good too.
For a complete line of fabrics I like Connecting Threads, all fabirc is less than 6 dollars a yard.
All the fabrics have been first quality.
I rarely go to a local quilt shop, they are too expensive. I live near a lot of them since I live in Phx. AZ. If I need something special I will go to one, its fun to look at all the fabric but the prices are all over 8 dollars a yard so just dont buy much. One shop is only 6.99 a yard so go there once in a while if I am over thier way.

zyxquilts 10-09-2009 11:47 AM

When I buy fabric online, I'm like Rose Marie - I look in the 'bargain basement' & 'online special' pages. If something catches my eye, I'll buy some. I do most of my online fabric shopping at Hancock's of Paducah & they haven't disappointed me yet. :D
I also have lots of local quilt shops around here - 2 that are within "lunch hour distance" from work even! If I feel the need to feel the fabric, that's where I go, but I have to be very strict with myself at their prices. :wink:
And frankly, looking at my stash, I'm not sure why I'm shopping at all!!!

BellaBoo 10-09-2009 11:48 AM

I buy from the online shops I trust. There are many! If you order the name brand fabrics then the quality is not a problem. The colors may be off in person then what is in the catalog or online picture but never enough to bother me. I buy for my stash, not so much for one certain project.

kluedesigns 10-09-2009 11:52 AM

i buy 99% of my fabric online.

if the manufacturer is one that i know and i like the look of the fabric i buy it.

if i have color concerns i have a sample sent to me or if i need a fabric from my stash match i just mail a sample to them.

pookie ookie 10-09-2009 01:16 PM

I buy from almost everyone. Ebay sellers, Connecting Threads and Fat Quarter Shop treat me very well. Lately, FQS has been treating me too well. My credit cards are in pain.

I have to say, there are some ebay sellers who are just sweethearts. Yes, there are bad apples (I've never experienced any) but the sweeties obviously outweigh the bad in *my* shopping adventures. Read feedback before purchasing.

FQS has fast shipping.

I don't buy from etsy anymore. I can't take another dithering shipping delay. I forgot to do a credit card cancel on one and she shipped my goods to me 7 months later. Total surprise. No apology, of course.

I generally rely on my LQS for my own sewing designs. I want to see fabrics in person for those. Right now, I'm trying to find the perfect dark green small print. Still looking.

I would like to find an online source with a good variety of 108" fabrics.

As always, buy more than you think you need and caveat emptor.

MadQuilter 10-09-2009 01:33 PM

my favorite on-line store is keepsakequilting and I get their little catalog. Their color representation is dead-on. I have never been disappointed with their orders. If anything, the colors are more vibrant in real life.

bstanbro 10-11-2009 01:45 PM

I buy most of my fabric in quilt shops, but I have made purchases online with good results. The online stores I've used are jofabrics.com, fabrics.com, and connectingthreads.com. So far, no problems. I prefer to shop in the store, but I live in the country, and so I don't get into town very often.

Suwannee Terry 10-11-2009 01:59 PM

I have had great luck buying from quiltshops.com. I first find a fabric I want at a local shop ...then I go searching on the site. Usually can find my selection for a few dollars less than what is available locally. Never have been disappointed. Some of my favorite shops on the site are Fabric Shack, Over the Rainbow and Bear Paw Quilting.