Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-fabric-t9170.html)

Tigerbaby1981 07-17-2008 09:33 AM

How does everyone buy their fabric? with a idea of a quilt in mind or just becuase they like the fabric? How much do you buy? a yard fat quarter?
Im really new to this, how to you match it all? whats a good rule of thumb?

adyldrop 07-17-2008 09:38 AM

I buy something when I see a pretty--doesn't need to be for a special project. The project usually jumps out at me. I buy whatever fits that fabric. If it's a pattern I'd probably use more in a bag, I'd buy a fat quarter or a half yard. If it's a really good print I could see using in a quilt I generally get a yard. Depends on the price too. I am cheap. Hee hee I think we all are! Some websites have a minimum order amount--sometimes it's a yard and sometimes it's a half yard. That kinda decides things for me too. When I'm really in the mood to buy fabric is when I gotta be careful--I'll get a yard of everything and go overboard! Hope my rambling helps somewhat if at all :) and post it when/if you order some so we can all drool!

Tigerbaby1981 07-17-2008 09:51 AM

Thanks it did help. I want to buy Moda Northern Flights collection to make a lap quilt and a queen quilt but I dont know how much i should get. or if I should buy the fat quater bundle.. Ive been drooling over all these nice prints but get stuck at that.

retrogirl02 07-17-2008 09:54 AM

You need a reason to buy fabric?? LOL. I pick whatever I want and sometimes I buy a few yards if I really LOVE the fabric...other times I wonder what I'll do with it and pick up a fat quarter. I like scrappy quilts, so a nice collection of fat quarters will definitely be used at some point. I've got my next 3 or 4 projects picked out, so I do stock up on fabric for them which may or may not work----always looking to feed the stash.

Skeat 07-17-2008 11:12 AM

tigerbaby, if we can help you learn new ways of collecting fabric (and hide it!) have you made the right stop:))I am forever buying fat quarters because I like to collect different colors and I like many colors in a quilt. Say the pink and browns...the 30's fabrics, blacks and whites, reds, creams...omg! They are all good!:))Oh, the homespun flannels! By collecting quarters, you can have a great variety that brings alot of depth and texture to your quilts w/o going to a great expense of too much fabric purchased. To start off, I would recommend buying 'kits' from a quilt store that can be recommended. I have had great luck w/kits to do a quilt and end up usually w/much left over. Big pieces get folded back into my quarter selections, scraps to plastic drawers by color. I do buy 5-6 yards at a time if I find a background type fabric on sale to stash away for later. Most quilters I know buy for a pattern specifically. If you buy only 1 or 2 fabrics that you like, you buy 2-3yrds to put away for building stash. But always remember that you make sure it is not a strange color or pattern that will be hard to match up later to work in a quilt. For me personally, I usually buy for a specific pattern and I buy extra:))When you see a quilt you like or a block...stop and try to figure out why. Is it the color? The Patterns in the fabric? The block? This will help guide you the direction that works for you and your likes. Hope that helps...Skeat

sewnsewer2 07-17-2008 11:22 AM

I generally only buy fabric for what I am going to work on. I'm cheap too.

Rose Marie 07-17-2008 01:33 PM

I buy 2 fats of each fabric, that way you have 1/2 yd to work with.
I like to stock up on batiks when on sale and I love the marbles.
Almost finished with a jewel box quilt done with Crystals charms. These charms are just beautiful. Havnt found the yardage but marbles by Moda are the same thing.

beachlady 07-17-2008 01:51 PM

I have found when I only buy a yard of fabric and then decide what quilt I want to do I never have enough. I have just started buying more yardage if I like a piece of fabric. Some day if I am broke I will have plenty of fabric to work with!!! LOL

Jerrie 07-17-2008 04:33 PM

I buy what i like

MiawMC 07-17-2008 04:38 PM

I usually pick fabric up that strikes me at the moment. Impulsive I am.
That said, I'll literally hunt for the right fabric to finish a project and I mean I'll hit stores everywhere (even on out of town trips).
It's a gut feeling thing with me. I don't initially look at fabric for a project, I just like the fabric. The project comes from the fabric.