Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying a long arm? Thoughts?..for those who have one (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-long-arm-thoughts-those-who-have-one-t104490.html)

Hockeyrabbit 03-02-2011 06:06 PM

Hi-

For those of you that have one, I was just wondering what made you buy it..reasons?? Secondly - did you test out models prior to making any decisions? If yes, where did you look? I've heard at quilt shows they tend to run deals/specials, but I am not sure this is true?

Lastly - did you buy the long arm for personal/home use or are you using this as a small business adventure??

Just curious as I am now thinking I might want to purchase one..mainly for home use.

Woolie 03-02-2011 06:12 PM

I bought a Gammil long arm and enjoyed it for my own use, not so fun doing it for others...I would get stressed. And I was slow...because I would pin it on and it would take me a few days of staring at it to decide on a pattern. Eventually I sold it because we were moving and the new house didn't have a space for it. So...with that said, if you can afford it for your own use and have the space it is fun.

sandyquilts 03-02-2011 06:13 PM

I have a Nolting 24" Pro on a 12ft table. I only quilt for myself. Yes it's true most quilt shows dealers with offer deals. That's exactly why I trade my Nolting 18" 2yrs ago for the 24" PRO. I tried out a number of machines. I went with Nolting because of their service, quick response and workhorse record.

CoyoteQuilts 03-02-2011 06:51 PM

I did a lot of research online before I bought the one I have now. I started with a second hand table top frame and used one of my domestic machines to start. That made me fall in love with frame quilting. I don't have the money to have others quilt my tops and I wasn't happy with all of my results when I pulled and pushed the sandwich through my machine on the table. I now have an older Homesteader machine that I bought used. These are a hybrid machine that the company stretches. The service is great and they are so easy to deal with. The 2 things I looked for was customer service and price and this company has both. The link for the Homesteader is:
http://www.thequiltingsolution.com/ they have a group on Yahoo! at http://groups(dot)yahoo(dot)com/group/HomesteaderQuilting/

replace the (dot) with a dot. After I received my machine I needed a part and it was sent before I sent them a check and when I got the parts there was bobbins, bobbin case and bobbin hook in the box that I didn't purchase. They were just a thank you! Not sure if they do that with all of their customers, but it sure was nice for me. No I am not affiliated with this company, just a very, very happy customer.

Good luck on your search. I know we all look for different things when it comes to our toys and thankfully there is just as many machines out there to make all of us happy.

SueDor 03-03-2011 04:47 AM

I tried a few, but I picked the Hq16 because the shop is about 15-20 mins away.

rrowe 03-03-2011 05:00 AM

I have a Gammill Premier Plus (18") and love it. I tried the HandiQuilter but thought it was too light weight. I believe they are better now. Try before you buy and see how they move and how they sew. I quilt for some friends and myself. I purchased because I wanted to learn something new and didn't want to pay so much to have one quilted. That would have limited how many I would have finished. I know that's not logical, but it's my story and I'm sticking to it! ha ha One other thing to consider is the throat size. My only complaint is I wish I had bought a larger throat machine as I am limited on pantograph sizes. It is a learning curve (hardest one I've ever had) but it is so much fun too.

Karen's Kreations 03-03-2011 05:09 AM

I'm researching also - I'm leaning towards the Homesteader - the price is right and everything I've read indicates fewer problems with tension than some of the other machines.

feline fanatic 03-03-2011 06:02 AM

I have an ABM Innova 26" throat on a 10' frame. I would have liked to have gone to a bigger frame but no room in my house for a frame that big. I am still new to it, I only took delivery of my machine this past summer.

I did some research on line and tried out an HQ 16 and the Innova. I couldn't believe how much nicer the Innova felt for almost the same price for the 18" throat model. Once I settled on the Innova I did more research and it seems those that have them love them. I know I love mine. My dealer is within a reasonable distance (about an hour drive away) and ABM has phone support 24/7 but I have yet to use it. My dealer delivered mine and set it up. I bought their demo model so basically got a 26" throat for the same price as a brand new 18". Because it was their demo I got the full warrantee. I did not go to any big MQ shows so can't say about deals at shows. My dealer was at a small local show and were not offering any kind of show specials.

I bought it because I have so many quilts inside of me that I want to make and it takes too long to hand quilt. I was not satisfied with my results in machine quilting on my DMS and it is really hard to wrestle a big quilt through the machine. I was ok with smaller quilts but like my results sooooo much better on the LA with a stitch regulator. I do plan on quilting for others and have already quilted one and have a second on the rack right now. I work full time so I don't have much time for LAing but hopefully when I retire I will be able to concentrate more on LAing for others. I love LA quilting.

Prettiptibbs 03-03-2011 07:17 AM

I have the HQ16 which I bought at a MQX show several years ago. I chose the model on a frame rather than the sit-down because I have Carpal Tunnel sydnrome and couldn't push the quilt through. I bought it for personal use after researching and trying other machines. I am still very happy with my choice as it is quite user friendly. Hope this helps!

lisalovesquilting 03-03-2011 07:23 AM

I have a Tin Lizzie because I wanted to quilt my own quilts and needed it especially for large ones. Also love the stitch regulation I couldn't get on my DM. I tried out many at large quilt shows. Narrowed it down to Tin Lizzie and HQ. Decided on TL because the dealer is in town. Very happy with my choice.