Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying Material for a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-material-quilt-t67841.html)

teddysmom 10-02-2010 05:11 AM

I'm so new at this. Working on my 2nd quilt--the first one was a kit my DS sent me. When you decide on a quilt you want to make, do you buy all the material at the same time--matching material for top with borders and backing? The quilt I'm working on now--material for quilt top was purchased in GA, borders in OH and backing in WV. Did well with material for backing but only feel so-so about materal for borders.

Anyone on this board from the Charlotte NC area?

mom-6 10-02-2010 05:18 AM

I've never gotten all of it at one time. Even the ones that I actually planned out before purchasing fabric I've found some here, some there in various places.

If you don't really like your border fabric, keep looking and save what you have now for another project. It will come along when you least expect it.

raptureready 10-02-2010 05:20 AM

Sometimes I do if it's a special quilt or if the fabric is on a great sale but usually I can't afford to do it all at once. Also, I have a huge stash so sometimes I want to wait until I go through my stash to see if I have anything that I can use.

mtnmama 10-02-2010 05:23 AM

Definitely keep looking for your border fabric. That's what the fun is all about. The perfect border fabric is out there and sooner or later you will find it. Sometimes I buy all of the fabric at one time if it is a particular theme or grouping but most of the time I will buy it separately. It is easier on the pocket book also to buy some now and some later. Good Luck

mic-pa 10-02-2010 05:24 AM

I wait and buy the backing after my quilt top is done. Because I sometimes add more borders to make it bigger or end up making it into a smaller size. But I do buy enough to make the top and if there is any left over it goes into my "stash" for another project in the future

bunniequilter 10-02-2010 05:31 AM

I never buy everything at once. I find sometimes the vision I have in my head changes and evolves as the quilt goes together, and always buy a little extra to feed your stash.

scrapykate 10-02-2010 05:44 AM

I take the top with me to find a boarder fabric that "talks" to me. good luck

SueDor 10-02-2010 05:53 AM

I don't buy the border fabric until I need to.

luvTooQuilt 10-02-2010 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by bunniequilter
I never buy everything at once. I find sometimes the vision I have in my head changes and evolves as the quilt goes together, and always buy a little extra to feed your stash.

Yup that's me too...

sewhappy30 10-02-2010 06:15 AM

I always use a pattern, so I buy the material for the top first and sometimes the borders, but I never buy the backing until the quilt top is done. Then I take it with me to the fabric store and see what I like.