Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying quality fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-quality-fabric-t45539.html)

teddysmom 05-11-2010 08:37 AM

Do I get better quality fabric if I buy from a quilt/fabric shop vs Wal-Mart, JoAnn's etc?

Sara in NC

RST 05-11-2010 08:40 AM

Yes. You do.

MamaBear61 05-11-2010 08:41 AM

In general the answer is yes, but you can find good quality fabrics in the discount type stores. Most of us here say buy the best you can afford and if that happens to be fabrics that are discounted that's okay.

foxxigrani 05-11-2010 08:43 AM

Quilt shop quality is by far the best, Joanns not so much. But someone said it buy the best you can afford.

Rita

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 05-11-2010 08:46 AM

This is a never ending discussion that will never be agreed upon. Buy what makes you happy and is within your budget.

Don't stress yourself about it. Quilting is supposed to be fun.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 05-11-2010 08:46 AM

This is a never ending discussion that will never be agreed upon. Buy what makes you happy and is within your budget.

katier825 05-11-2010 09:02 AM

There are places online you can get discounted quilt shop quality fabric. Thousands of Bolts has many brand name fabrics in the $4-5 dollar range, usually older collections than the current ones your LQS would have. Desperate Quilters has a lot for under $8, newer collections than Thousands of Bolts does. Seawatch Fabrics has the nicer quality Batiks and Asian fabrics at very good prices - usually $2-3 less than quilt shops. Each of these has great customer service and quick shipping. If you find a manufacture you like the fabric quality of, look them up online. You might be able to get what you want at a price you can afford! I buy from many online places and have never been disappointed in any fabric that I've gotten!

sewcrafty 05-11-2010 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter

I totally agree!!! Buy what you like and can afford!!! Don't make it stressful for yourself!! Kick back and enjoy most of all!!

Boston1954 05-11-2010 09:04 AM

I find that fabric from the quilt shops is so very soft. I believe that is because it is more loosely woven. They feel just wonderful.

Quilter7x 05-11-2010 09:05 AM

I shop at either Jo Ann's or the LQS. Jo Ann's does carry some really nice fabric in their designer collection. At the same time, I've seen some really thin not-so-good quality fabric at the LQS.

In general, I think that the LQS does have better quality fabric than anywhere else, but you need to discover that for yourself since you could be just as happy with a $7.99 fabric from Jo Ann's as you are with a $10.99 fabric from the LQS.