Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cameo cutter and the GO cutter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cameo-cutter-go-cutter-t225055.html)

Elginrunnerswife 07-03-2013 08:53 AM

Cameo cutter and the GO cutter

I was recently talking with our LQS owner and she was saying that she prefers the Cameo to the GO cutter. Its electronic and uses software on your computer to basically cut out any design you want and in multiples per "sheet" of fabric you send through. With the Cameo she said you have to put a stabilizer on fabric to send it thru the machine but that it was very inexpensive as you can use whatever you want. She said she has a hard time selling the GO now because the Cameo doesnt require buying the templates and you can do more with it.

My husband is saying he thinks I should get a GO because I will use the strip template for cutting binding and will not be bound by having to have a computer, etc to be able to cut. He also thinks I will use the standard templates a lot more than doing the creative cutouts on a Cameo.

So I wondered what your thoughts are? Have any of you used the Cameo? To me it seems like it is a Cricut that can cut fabric?

Right now I am still trying to decide which route to go!!

ScubaK 07-03-2013 09:02 AM

Is this the Silouette Cameo cutter?
I have one that I thought I would use for paper...it's in the closet.
I have my go and I don't have ALL the dies but I use the ones I have and I love it. It was worth every penney.
K

DonnaC 07-03-2013 09:47 AM

Just one thought.... you should find out where the designs for the Cameo come from. In other words, if you have to download them (I'm assuming).... how much do they cost? Are there free designs? Otherwise, you might be spending just as much money for designs as you would be for the Go dies.

Peckish 07-03-2013 09:56 AM

I've never heard of the Cameo, so I cannot tell you my personal experience, but I did want to say 2 things:
1. Keep in mind that your LQS owner may be compensated more for selling one product over another. I think you are smart to ask people who do not have a financial incentive what they think of the product.
2. I did a brief search on the Cameo and found some very specific and interesting reviews in a couple of forums, and also Amazon. Might be worth your time to check them out. :)

carolaug 07-03-2013 10:17 AM

i like the Go and Studio because I don't have to plug it in. When the power goes out its the prefect project to do...also I can bring the Go to camp, outdoors...anywhere...love it.

Dingle 07-03-2013 11:19 AM

I just wanted to let everyone know who might be thinking about getting a Go. I ordered one from Sewforless for 169.99 no tax and free shipping. It was the best price I could find.

BellaBoo 07-03-2013 01:13 PM

The shop owner must have both to be able to compare. Ask if you can have a test cutting on both. How would you cut strips the width of the fabric?

Elginrunnerswife 07-03-2013 02:30 PM

Thanks everyone!

Yes, ScubaK, it's the Silhouette Cameo.....it is used like a Cricut and can cut paper, plastic fabric, etc. another lady customer in the shop overheard me asking and said she attended the quilt class where they demo'd it. She said it was the 'wiz-bang' and was fabulous. Once you buy the machine, you scan or download your own designs or ones you find....the cost comes in the stabilizer you have to put on the fabric so it will run thru. You also can only run one layer at a time. She sells both in her store and from what I have gathered the Cameo is just making its appearance as a tool for quilters.

I think I may be siding with my hubby on this....the GO is maybe what I need.

Dolphyngyrl 07-03-2013 06:10 PM

The cameo is awesome, but the really don't compare. The cameo would be good for applique, scan, cut etc

gale 07-03-2013 07:21 PM

I love my Silhouette but I mostly use my Big Shot Pro for cutting fabric. I had the GO and sold it and bought the big shot. I love it.