Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can this equation work? (DIY "fusible" interfacing) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-equation-work-diy-fusible-interfacing-t217810.html)

Teeler 03-30-2013 12:59 PM

Can this equation work? (DIY "fusible" interfacing)

At some point soon, I'd like to try applique. Since I don't know what I'm doing, but love the idea of the fusible interfacing...I'd like to practice with materials I already have on hand. Will this work?

(Starch + used dryer sheet) + basting spray = fusible interfacing

???

tesspug 03-30-2013 01:11 PM

Try it and find out. What's the worst that can happen? Then let us know. I use the used dryer sheets to polish mirrors and chrome faucets.

Tartan 03-30-2013 01:54 PM

Only one way to find out.:) ​Give us an update after you try it.

ckcowl 03-30-2013 03:25 PM

i don't think the starch is a necessary element in your 'equation'...what is the starch step for? use the dryer sheet like an interfacing- where your stitch it around your shape (right sides together) cut a slit in the interfacing & turn your piece right side out- so now the interfacing is on the back & your edges are finished--press nice & flat--spray with your basting spray---stick down on your background & stitch around your piece...where were you planning to add the starch? i don't understand that part???just wondering---maybe i'm missing something important???

noveltyjunkie 03-30-2013 04:22 PM

If you are using glue, why do you need the drier sheet at all?

Nammie to 7 03-30-2013 08:30 PM

You have nothing to lose by trying it. You may even invent a new method of applique!

Teeler 03-31-2013 04:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, well, here's something new...
I didn't figure the used sheet (generic brand, and VERY thin) would hold up very well, so I starched it first (part 1 of the equation). Nice results.
Cut, sew, turn...
I go to press the piece flat, and I get this ↓ IT DISINTEGRATED!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]405452[/ATTACH]

I did one without the starch, and it seemed to work ok...I guess. It 'stuck' to the test fabric ok (I didn't expect it not to), and I sewed it, so it's fine. Of course, after thinking on it, I guess I wouldn't use the spray ALL the time...probably too expensive of an alternative. I just had an almost empty can of it, so figured I'd try it.

Teeler 03-31-2013 04:50 AM

Oh, and by the way, ironing basting spray negates any sticking power it has. Totally eliminates it.

mermaid 04-01-2013 05:44 AM

I really enjoyed making 2 lge applique quilts, but I used the light weight fusible interfacing. Sewed the appliq right side against the fusible side of interfacing--all around. Then cut slit in interfacing and turned right side out. You cannot press the edges at this stage tho--you must place the piece on your quilt block and work the edges with your fingers...then press to the block. It attaches quite well for hand stitching (or machine.) The fusible interfacing is not expensive and, of course, you do not have to follow grain lines, so you get more use from the scraps.

quiltstringz 04-01-2013 06:19 AM

I have seen a lot of people use old dryer sheets for applique. I haven't done it yet, but have seen some great results with friends