Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can This Fabric Be Used For Quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-fabric-used-quilting-t114493.html)

JUNEC 04-08-2011 08:10 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I purchased a several lots of quilting fabric on Ebay. They were suppose to be at least 1/2 yd pieces.

Among the fabric I purchased were 3 pieces of this fabric - they are each 1 yd for a total of 3 yds

Can this fabric be used for a quilt? The reason I am questioning it is that the 3 grey "stripes" inbetween the flowersd are loops - do you think they will pull out?

Here are a couple of pictures of the front and back of the fabric -

HELP

front fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]181280[/ATTACH]

larger picture of front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]181281[/ATTACH]

back - loop looks lik it is pulled but doesn't show up on front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]181282[/ATTACH]

closer up on fabric back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]181283[/ATTACH]

Bluphrog 04-08-2011 08:17 AM

IMHO, any fabric can be used to make a quilt, but with the weaving of that fabric, you may have a lot of threads pulled once you get it finished.

If you are asking if it's 100% cotton, the only way to know is to do a burn test. Take a small piece of the fabric and light with a match in a fireproof container (ashtray, empty tuna can, etc.). If it burns clean, it is all natural fiber, though not necessarily all cotton. If it melts or the smoke is black, it has man-made fibers in it.

MTS 04-08-2011 08:25 AM

I have a lot of Guatemalan and Peruvian fabric like that, and have never had a problem.

You might just want to stay stitch around your blocks to keep them from unraveling. Once they're it's all in the quilt top, it will be fine.

Lori S 04-08-2011 08:49 AM

It not something I would use.. the loose weave of some of the threads would eventually get pulled. It looks like it would shrink up alot .. just a gut feeling!
I have seen it used , but not by me.

Candace 04-08-2011 08:52 AM

Not something I'd use for a quilt either.

amma 04-08-2011 09:50 AM

I am afraid with the rough use my quilts get, these would be pulled constantly.
I guess it would depend on how you think this quilt would be used :D:D:D

JUNEC 04-08-2011 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
It not something I would use.. the loose weave of some of the threads would eventually get pulled. It looks like it would shrink up alot .. just a gut feeling!
I have seen it used , but not by me.

The loose weave is on the back of the fabric - the cute little flowers are the front.

JUNEC 04-08-2011 10:36 AM

Think I will put it away until a brilliant project comes up to use it for.
Thank you for all your help

greensleeves 04-08-2011 10:53 AM

I used a similar fabric-had scissors and silver threads-and it was OK. Just watch as you sew and after its quilted it should be no problem. I was worried too.

Tartan 04-08-2011 12:19 PM

If I used it for a quilt, I would do the whole quilt top in the same fabric. Then I would heavily machine quilt it. I would not mix it with other fabrics. It would make dynamite tea towels and dish cloths.