Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   can we talk labels? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-we-talk-labels-t3257.html)

fabricluvr 11-21-2007 07:27 AM

working on some gifts and tossing the idea of labels around. several questions -

do you make your own? (i have bubblejet set, but haven't used it yet to print my own)
do you always put a label on gifts? (my stepson is getting married and i'm making them the salisbury window with waterfalls - they live in hawaii)
what wording would you put for a wedding gift label? it's still kind of early, what if the date changes, etc
how do you attach them? i've appliqued them on the back, but it gets in the way of the quilting.
if you use fusible web, do you also stitch around them?

hope this isn't too much to ask. thanks for your insights!

Minda 11-21-2007 07:33 AM

My personal opinion is that every quilt you make should have a label. Some teachers advise to put the label on before you quilt so it can never be removed. I put as much information as I can fit on the label, including the name of the pattern or quilt.

vicki reno 11-21-2007 07:39 AM

I always try ot put a label. I put who its for, the date it was made, and my name. I try if possible to use something that will resemble the chosen pattern on the front--ie a smaller sunbonnet sue, or a design that is similar to the one on the front. I use a satin stitch around the outer edge and slip stitch it to the back. Soem try and incoporate it into the quilting but I am not that organized to pick a label design that far in advance! :lol: :lol:

Moonpi 11-21-2007 07:40 AM

I applique it on after quilting, with a few scraps of the fabric in the pocket in case it needs mending down the road. Most of mine did not have labels though, and I wish I had gotten into the habit sooner.

kathy 11-21-2007 09:33 AM

I put to, from, why and the year, applique on at the last minute!

zyxquilts 11-21-2007 10:30 AM

I have appliqued my labels on in the past, but now, if the backing isn't too dark, I use a pigma pen, & write directly on the backing. :-)
I usually include the name of the quilt (if it has one), my name, city & state, the date - at least the month & year, who I made it for, their name, city & state, and the occasion. So you could just put that it was made for "Dick & Jane" on the occasion of their marriage, and the year (instead of a specific date). Or you could leave a blank space for the date of the wedding & fill it in later.

Extreme Quilter 11-22-2007 06:01 AM

I always label my quilts and adhere them to the quilt with Steam-A-Seam2, a lightweight fusible, so the label cannot be removed. Someone would have to cut it out or applique a phony label on top!

k_jupiter 11-22-2007 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by fabricluvr
working on some gifts and tossing the idea of labels around. several questions -

what wording would you put for a wedding gift label? it's still kind of early, what if the date changes, etc
[
hope this isn't too much to ask. thanks for your insights!

"Good luck... You'll need it!"

"In case of separation, return to sender"

"Never sleep under this quilt mad at each other. Tomorrow is another day"

Good Humor comes from an Ice Cream Truck, bad humor comes from...

tim in san jose

Cathe 11-23-2007 07:35 AM

I do not put labels on quilts I sell unless they are selling in a touristy area, in which case people like to have the location on the label.

I put labels just on presentation quilts or special commemorative quilts - births, weddings, etc.

Knot Sew 11-23-2007 04:44 PM

I bought a book of them.......you iron them on and then embroider or paint.......I intend to put them on a fabric square of white and then attach to back :D I bought the book at Joanns