Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can this work. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-work-t197098.html)

true4uca 08-08-2012 06:35 PM

Can this work.

My friend showed me her scrappy quilt with scrappy binding. Now I want to try a scrappy binding on my scrappy blue(s) quilt. Alas I'm short of enough different prints to get a good variety. I do have lots of blue(s) 2 inch wide noodles. about 18-20 inches long. I'm think of adding ( my on going quest to use my stash) a strip of plain muslim & cutting 2 1/2 strips to get my width. Once the binding is sewn onto quilt the muslim will never be seen. Talk me out of doing this. LOL.

Patti25314 08-08-2012 06:43 PM

I like to use 2" strips to make my bindings. Why do you need 2.5"?

auntpiggylpn 08-08-2012 06:46 PM

I'm confused about the muslin :confused: I have made a scrappy binding before and I used strips cut from FQs so the strips were 2" X 22" long, some shorter. I just pieced them together to make a binding strip the length that I needed and then just bound the quilt like I would any other time.

true4uca 08-08-2012 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Patti25314 (Post 5427654)
I like to use 2" strips to make my bindings. Why do you need 2.5"?

I've only ever used 2.5 inch strips for binding. I'm wanting to use my 2 inch strips by adding a strip of muslim to make my 2 inch strips 2.5 inches wide. When I sew it to the front of my quilt & fold to the back the muslim will not be seen

M.I.Late 08-08-2012 07:06 PM

I have absolutely made binding with a little seam in it so I could stretch out the fabric more. I use a wide binding though. If you do add two strips together to make the binding be sure the seam will not end up on the outside anywhere. I can usually go about 1/3 to 2/3 and sew it to the quilt with the seam facing me. Then when I fold it over, it's well hidden and inside the fold. Hope that makes sense. I just had to do it in order to stretch out my binding material to have enough. You know what they say: "Necessity is the mother of invention" . (And it did work beautifully)

auntpiggylpn 08-08-2012 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by true4uca (Post 5427698)
I've only ever used 2.5 inch strips for binding. I'm wanting to use my 2 inch strips by adding a strip of muslim to make my 2 inch strips 2.5 inches wide. When I sew it to the front of my quilt & fold to the back the muslim will not be seen

If you use 2" strips and sew muslin to them, won't you lose another 1/2" off the 2" strip? So in essence you will have a 1 1/2" strip with muslin strips sewed to each side?

Tartan 08-08-2012 07:12 PM

I understand what you mean and you might want to take a look at Charismah's QB tutorial on Quick machine binding with flange. It uses 2 strips to add a liitle extra pizzazz to an all machine binding. One strip of binding is cut 1 and 3/8 and the other is cut 1 and 5/8 and you sew them together. You would be doing something similar on your blue with muslin binding.

nativetexan 08-08-2012 07:16 PM

Tartan has it right. at least that is what I did to do two color binding. good luck.
http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/blog.php/blog_id/3902

Tashana 08-09-2012 07:27 AM

Tartan is right, I was just about to suggest the same thing. I have never tried it myself but it looks really interesting.

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5427709)
I understand what you mean and you might want to take a look at Charismah's QB tutorial on Quick machine binding with flange. It uses 2 strips to add a liitle extra pizzazz to an all machine binding. One strip of binding is cut 1 and 3/8 and the other is cut 1 and 5/8 and you sew them together. You would be doing something similar on your blue with muslin binding.

true4uca 08-09-2012 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by M.I.Late (Post 5427699)
I have absolutely made binding with a little seam in it so I could stretch out the fabric more. I use a wide binding though. If you do add two strips together to make the binding be sure the seam will not end up on the outside anywhere. I can usually go about 1/3 to 2/3 and sew it to the quilt with the seam facing me. Then when I fold it over, it's well hidden and inside the fold. Hope that makes sense. I just had to do it in order to stretch out my binding material to have enough. You know what they say: "Necessity is the mother of invention" . (And it did work beautifully)

M.I.Late, this is what I'm trying to do. Glad to know it works. It seemed too simple an answer to me so I was sure there had to be another more complicated way.LOL.