Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can you cross hatch an entire quilt on a longarm? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-you-cross-hatch-entire-quilt-longarm-t153585.html)

leatheflea 09-17-2011 03:28 AM

Would you need to pre mark the lines? Whats the trick? Or should I just use my domestic machine?

nycquilter 09-17-2011 03:47 AM

this is done with ruler work. HandiQuilter has a great video showing how. I'm sure someone must have posted how too, on you-tube though I'm not sure. I have not tried it so can't counsel.

mandyk 09-17-2011 03:55 AM

Not sure why you want to do this. What designs are on the quilt? You might want to think about doing something in the block with crossbhatching in the back ground. This means ruler work but with much shorter lines. To do the entire quilt your are going to need a fairly large ruler, T least the size of the block. Maybe some other board members have better suggestions.

lfletcher 09-17-2011 04:27 AM

For my Gammill I purchased a set of crosshatch circles from Linda's Electric Quilts. They come in different sizes and fit over your hopping foot. You use the edge of the circle to line up with the previous stitched line and get perfect spacing. I have only practiced with these, but they work well. They can probably be purchased for any machine, but I'm not sure.

amandasgramma 09-17-2011 06:07 AM

As Ifletcher said -- except they don't have to be curved rulers --- straight edge rulers make crosshatching, curved rulers make curved crosshatching. I, too, believe you'd just want to do the block -- and not a whole quilt. As for size of ruler, most machines wouldn't let you do a "whole" quilt as one big crosshatching anyway, I do crosshatching using a 6" ruler!!! You just have to not daydream and run off the edge of the ruler (yeah, right LOL)

leatheflea 09-17-2011 06:25 AM

so really I would be better off to quilt this quilt on the domestic machine instead of the frame. Some times the simple quilting is needed in a quilt rather than the fancy feathers and swirls. I'm wanting it cross hatched about 1 1/2 inches apart. I'll just have to mull this over for awhile before making a definate plan.

susie-susie-susie 09-17-2011 06:37 AM

I did cross hatching on a fairly good sized lap quilt--I think it was about 60 x 60. I used masking tape to mark it, and did it on my domestic machine. It was an applique quilt, and I didn't sew over the appliques. I did 2 of them for my DGSs and they turned out great. I don't like to mark my quilts with markers, too afraid the marks won't come off.
Sue

Rose Marie 09-17-2011 06:43 AM

For straigt lines I use my walking foot with the metal quide that fits into the foot on my Viking machine.
My long arm setup with a Jane 9 in throat machine would be difficult to do all over straight lines with.

charismah 09-17-2011 09:00 AM

HI Lea,

Well I just bought the loricles ( circle lord) cross hatching system ..haven't used it yet. You can operate it from the front of the machine which is really nice. I could easily cross hatch a whole quilt using this system. It has grooved boards and a stylus system.
You could look at their website. ;-)

leatheflea 09-17-2011 01:29 PM

Thanks Charisma! I've never heard of that before!