Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   CANNED AIR (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/canned-air-t27571.html)

amma 10-24-2009 08:08 AM

A repairman told me that if everyone would use canned air on their machines...he could expand his business and retire early LMBO

It is not good to use it on keyboards/electronics either...it pushes the debri into places not meant to be dirty and there is moisture in those particles that is hard on the metals inside. Canned air should only be used when you have a component/machine completely open so that the debri can fly out of it, not into cracks and crevices.

Esqmommy 10-24-2009 08:15 AM

I use it. You can't blow because it puts moisture into your bobbin casing area and that's destructive.s

Linda - K. 10-24-2009 08:44 AM

I was told not to use the canned air for the same reasons already posted - push stuff further into machine and there is some moisture that comes out of the can.

I bought a 1 gal. shop vac at Ace Hardware and a set of the small vac pieces to use with it. It works just fine and gets the fuzzies out easily. A 1" cheap paint brush from any store works fine also (the ones with the wooden handle and hair bristles on it).

Pzazz 10-24-2009 08:53 AM

I also use a small paint brush...one with very stiff, short, blunt bristles. Works great.

joeyoz 10-24-2009 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bevanger
I keep a can next to my machine with a makeup brush . I blow it then clean it out with brush

I do just the opposite. I clean with a brush, then use the canned air to get any leftover stuff the brush didn't get.

littlehud 10-24-2009 05:58 PM

I have always heard not to use canned air because it can jam that fuzz in where it shouldn't be. I use a brush and it cleans up just fine.

Punksmom 10-25-2009 10:23 AM

I work for a Janome dealer and the repair man told use to never ever use canned air as you are just blowing the lint and stuff up in the machine and onto the computer boards in the newer machines. :oops: He also advised us to tell our customers not to just blow the lint out as there is moisture in your breath that can do nasty things to your machine also. I use different size brushes and a small vac attatchment for sewing machines to get all the lint and thread out. I do it after I finish sewing for the day, it has become a habit and that way I don't have to remember the last time I cleaned the machine.

DJ 10-25-2009 12:48 PM

Okay, I'll stop using the canned air (althought it was recommended by the shop that sold me my machine . . . guess they want to clean my machine regularly!). DH had a set of small vacuum brush attachments that I'll be using attached to a small vacuum. I'll keep it under my sewing machine and use it regularly . . . usuall whenever I need to refill the bobbin.

Rose Marie 10-25-2009 02:45 PM

I bought a 10 dollar attachment for my vacumn cleaner just for the sewing machine but it was a big pain and did not work.
I found my hand vac works just fine.
I also heard not to blow into the machine.

mytwopals 10-26-2009 10:45 AM

I use my shop vac, when mine gets dirty. No chance of lint getting blown into bad places elsewhere inside the machine.