Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can't go without ? in your sewing room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cant-go-without-your-sewing-room-t7456.html)

retrogirl02 05-24-2008 07:03 PM

Hello! :D

I'm trying to make my sewing room nicer & thought I'd look for suggestions to make life a little easier without buying every little trinket available.

I have to have my scissor sharpener, acrylic guides, and laptop....what do you absolutely have to have or REALLY REALLY want in your sewing room?

Thanks.

sondray 05-24-2008 07:16 PM

I have to have music. I also have my quilt, sewing and embroidery books and magazines in my sewing room.

retrogirl02 05-24-2008 07:18 PM

Thanks, Sondray...music would be nice. Do you have a radio, CD player, or am I just old fashioned and you have an ipod? LOL. I'm thinking if I had a cd player, it would interrupt me when I had to change it....maybe not, though.

Harmony 05-24-2008 09:16 PM

It's ALL about the iPod! Mine is like a little time machine, all the music I've loved my whole life. I have a mix of old and new, and play lists for different moods. You can get speakers with a remote control so that you don't have to get up to change your music. And you can download free podcasts, which I love to listen to while I'm quilting--kind of like chatting with a friend! I LOVE my iPod!

Katrine 05-24-2008 10:52 PM

Hubby visits me about every hour - will bring a coffee or juice. Music - I have the computer just outside sewing room so listen to radio on that. When I have a problem or want to check a technique I can look it up on the PC. In hot weather find a large oscillating fan good - being careful to aim it high or all the pieces will fly!

Janeen 05-25-2008 03:01 AM

a HUGE cutting mat
IRON
a TALL ENOUGH work surface

I work at a homemade 'table' - it's 54"w 85" L and 36" tall so no leaning over and killing my back

I took a board about 3/4" thick and about 2'x2.5' and "upholstered it" with batting and duck fabric

I have the huge cutting mat on the 'table' - when I need to iron I lay the board on top of the mat and use it as an 'ironing board'... much sturdier than a regular ironing board plus I don't have to try to figure out where to have an ironing board set up. ..... if you can't or don't want to mess with making a usable board, you could just use one of those already made up in the traditional shape of an ironing board like for college dorms or such...

A VERY important thing is do NOT let the cutting mat get HOT - it will warp.
I picked one up at a garage sale once for a dollar that was really warped and tried the iron and wet towel method to flatten it out but it didn't work - so I use that warped one to set my sewing machine on.

Izy 05-25-2008 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by retrogirl02
Thanks, Sondray...music would be nice. Do you have a radio, CD player, or am I just old fashioned and you have an ipod? LOL. I'm thinking if I had a cd player, it would interrupt me when I had to change it....maybe not, though.

Lol I hit the repeat all button...it goes on and on and on, you gotta select a cd your really love first :roll:

Roben 05-25-2008 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by retrogirl02
I'm trying to make my sewing room nicer & thought I'd look for suggestions to make life a little easier without buying every little trinket available.

My most favorite new, inexpensive gadget: Command stick-on, thin metal hooks. My main sewing area is on a computer desk with bookshelves/lateral file units on each side, and I put up one of those hooks on the side of the bookshelf facing my machine area. I can get 5 acrylic rulers hung on it; they're out of the way but handy in a very unobtrusive way. I's been 2 months and the hook hasn't budged. I have a couple on my computer unit to keep camera cords and microphone/headsets out of my way. They come right off without leaving a mark too. All for under $3 at Lowe's.

Next favorite: a canvas type bag with clear pockets all around, kinda like a gardening tool bag. I keep it by my machine, and it holds all my tools like tweezers, seam ripper, ruler, point turner - all in one place. I got this one as a gift, but I've seen similar ones at the hardware store. No more hunting through a drawer to find what I'm looking for!

I'll post a pic later; DH is on the other computer with all that stuff on it and I'm on the one hooked up to the tv.

Roben 05-25-2008 05:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's the pics!

This is the hook
[ATTACH=CONFIG]10409[/ATTACH]

The bag I use as a caddy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]10410[/ATTACH]

Rulers Hung Up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]10411[/ATTACH]

fabricluvr 05-25-2008 05:48 AM

all of the typical stuff, plus the radio and tv and a window! i like to listen to older romance/comedy movies! so i'll pop one in the DVD that i've seen so many times, i don't have to watch it! really helps my productivity! so far i haven't had to put the air conditioner in the window and we're getting a wonderful breeze (bonus room on the third floor).

also, if table height is an issue, get a $10 set of bed risers. i love my cutting table in the middle of the room! it is a smaller recycled kitchen table!